Getting very low flux linkage in ANSYS Maxwell

The only difference is that I'm using a slightly different mesh size, but I don't think that should affect the results.In summary, when trying to follow an inductance calculation example in the ANSYS Maxwell user's guide, the results for the inductance were close but the value of flux was very low. The cause of this may be due to the core construction, particularly the bottom bar's material and position. Referencing page 5.2-7 and surrounding in the attached PDF, Tom suggests checking these factors. The original poster has confirmed that the material and dimensions of the model are correct, with the only difference being a slightly different mesh size which should not affect the results.
Jin_Chit
I'm new to ANSYS Maxwell and I'm trying to follow the inductance calculation example in the user's guide.
The results for the inductance are pretty close but the value of flux are very low. What cause this? What should I do?

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    6 KB · Views: 488
  • Inductance Calculation.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 526
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    11.8 KB · Views: 484
Engineering news on Phys.org
I've never used Maxwell, but check the core construction. Particularly is the bottom bar of the core both the correct material and in the correct position? See pg 5.2-7, and surrounding, of your attached PDF.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom.G said:
I've never used Maxwell, but check the core construction. Particularly is the bottom bar of the core both the correct material and in the correct position? See pg 5.2-7, and surrounding, of your attached PDF.

Cheers,
Tom
Thank you Tom.
I've checked and I think that the material and dimensions of the model are correct.

1. How can I decrease the flux linkage in ANSYS Maxwell simulations?

The best way to decrease the flux linkage in ANSYS Maxwell is to use materials with lower permeability values or to increase the air gap between components. Additionally, reducing the number of turns in the coils or increasing the frequency of the AC excitation can also help decrease flux linkage.

2. What is causing high flux linkage in my ANSYS Maxwell simulation?

High flux linkage in ANSYS Maxwell simulations can be caused by a number of factors, such as using materials with high permeability values, having a small air gap between components, or using a high number of turns in the coils. It can also be caused by high frequency AC excitation or non-uniformity in the magnetic field.

3. Can I manually adjust the flux linkage in ANSYS Maxwell?

Yes, you can manually adjust the flux linkage in ANSYS Maxwell by changing the material properties, air gap distance, or coil parameters. However, it is important to understand the impact of these changes on the overall performance of your design.

4. How does flux linkage affect the performance of my design in ANSYS Maxwell?

Flux linkage plays a crucial role in the performance of electromagnetic devices, as it determines the amount of magnetic flux passing through the circuit. High flux linkage can result in increased losses and reduced efficiency, while low flux linkage can lead to poor performance or even failure of the device.

5. Are there any techniques for optimizing flux linkage in ANSYS Maxwell simulations?

Yes, there are several techniques for optimizing flux linkage in ANSYS Maxwell, such as using advanced material models, optimizing the air gap distance, or using multi-objective optimization methods. It is also important to carefully analyze and fine-tune the design parameters to achieve the desired flux linkage while maintaining overall performance.