Getting wrong answer using Maple (Physics package)

• Maple
  • Thread starter graupner1000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maple
In summary, Maple is giving different answers for the covariant derivative depending on how it is written and it is not clear which calculation is correct.
graupner1000
Hi all,

I'm hoping somebody can save me from this impending frustration induced aneurysm. The problem lies with Maple's physics package and is this:

I am in an FLRW spacetime with metric

##ds^{2}=dt^{2}−a(t)^{2}(\frac{dr^{2}}{1−kr^{2}}+r^{2}d\theta^{2}+r^{2}sin^{2}(\theta)d\phi^{2})##

and a(t) is the scale factor. Now, I also have an antisymmetric, rank two tensor ##W## with components

##W^{23}=−W^{32}=\frac{1}{r^{2}a(t)^{2}sin(\theta)}##

and all others zero. So far, so straight forward. OK, next I want to take the covariant derivative of ω; rather easy with the Christoffel symbols given here http://universeinproblems.com/index...oblem_20:_Christoffel_symbols_for_FLRW_metric, and get

##\nabla_{\alpha} W^{\mu\nu} = 0##

Now, what I am doing involves many subsidiary calculations so I am doing it in Maple using the Physics package. I am confident in the answer above and have had somebody check it for me (by hand). The problem is, when telling maple to evaluate the above covariant derivative, it gives a different answer. Not only that, but seems, that giving it the same problem in three different ways results in different answers (neither of which is the one it should be). In one instance, it is the D_() command, in the second I use the "Define" command and D_() and in the other I am expanding the covariant derivative in terms of Christoffel symbols and using "Define" to input it as

d_[alpha](W[~mu,~nu]) + Christoffel[~mu,alpha,beta] W[~mu,~nu]+ Christoffel[~nu,alpha,beta] W[~mu,~nu]

The issue is less with this specific calculation, but more with whether or not I can rely on the package to give me the right answer (I'd rather not have to do it all by hand). So I basically wanted to ask where am I going wrong? Is it me or the software?

I've also attached screesshots of a minimal example . Any help would be very much appreciated. Meanwhile, I'm going to go and scream at a wall :)
ProblemExample1.png
ProblemExample1.png

Attachments

• ProblemExample2.png
    ProblemExample2.png
    57.3 KB · Views: 541
Likes jedishrfu
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you checked with MAPLE to see if anyone else has a similar problem? All software systems encounter bugs and manufacturers will provide either a workaround or state its a known issue.

One area that always messes calculations up is precedence of operation. You could try placing parentheses around factors and terms to insure they are computed in the right order:

A + B * C^2 vs (A + (B * (C^2) ) ) where you can clearly see that C^2 is computed first then B * C^2 and finally A + B * C^2

1. Why am I getting wrong answers when using Maple's Physics package?

There could be several reasons for getting wrong answers when using Maple's Physics package. One common reason is that the input values or equations may be incorrect. Make sure to double check your calculations and equations for any mistakes. Another possible reason is that the Physics package may not be updated to the latest version, which could result in errors. It is important to regularly update the package to ensure accurate results. Lastly, it is possible that there may be a bug in the software. In this case, it is best to reach out to Maple's technical support for assistance.

2. How can I troubleshoot incorrect results in Maple's Physics package?

If you are getting wrong answers when using Maple's Physics package, there are a few troubleshooting steps you can take. First, check your input values and equations for any errors. Next, try updating the package to the latest version. If the issue persists, try simplifying your equations and using smaller, simpler values to see if that affects the results. You can also consult the Maple documentation or reach out to their technical support for further assistance.

3. Can incorrect units cause wrong answers when using Maple's Physics package?

Yes, incorrect units can lead to incorrect results when using Maple's Physics package. Make sure to use the correct units for each variable in your equations. Maple has a built-in unit conversion function that can help with this. It is also important to note that the Physics package supports both SI and CGS units, so make sure to use the appropriate system for your calculations.

4. Are there any common mistakes that can lead to wrong answers in Maple's Physics package?

One common mistake when using Maple's Physics package is not specifying the correct assumptions for certain variables. The package uses assumptions to simplify equations and provide accurate results, so it is important to properly define these assumptions. Another mistake is not using the correct syntax for certain functions, which can lead to errors. Make sure to consult the Maple documentation for the proper syntax and usage of the various functions in the Physics package.

5. How can I ensure accurate results when using Maple's Physics package?

To ensure accurate results when using Maple's Physics package, it is important to carefully check your input values and equations for any errors. It is also recommended to regularly update the package to the latest version. Additionally, make sure to specify the correct assumptions for variables and use the correct units for each calculation. If you encounter any issues, consult the Maple documentation or reach out to their technical support for assistance.