Giant neuron around circumference of brain?

In summary, scientists have discovered a giant neuron that wraps around the entire circumference of a mouse's brain, with dense connections across both hemispheres. It is speculated that similar neurons may exist in the human brain, and could potentially be linked to consciousness. Further research is needed to determine the exact role of this neuron and its connections in the brain. Additionally, the claustrum in humans is also thought to be a potential center for conscious thought, but this hypothesis is still being investigated and requires more research.
mieral
Biology news on Phys.org
We humans already have a "brain coordination system" with a huge number of neural connections - the corpus callosum. It connects the two hemispheres of the human brain. I don't know mouse neuroanatomy well enough to see why the claim you mention is important. Or even if it is valid. Also there is no single giant neuron than encircles normal human brains. AFAIK.

When I follow links in the original popular science article I find mention of the claustrum in humans, which is thought to be a communications center for conscious thought in humans. AFAIK: This hypothesis is still at the maybe level - it needs a lot more research. However the claustrum is not a giant neuron. It is more like a very dense "glob" of many neurons.

People who are current in this field may want to bring us better updates. Here is a blog by a neurologist discussing the claustrum as the 'seat of conscious thought' from 2008. I would think if this were better validated by now, it would have been in popular science magazines by now.

Interesting article.

mieral said:
Could this also occur in human brain?
Sure, it is possible that the human brain could contain similar neurons that are still undetected. It is not however likely to be answered soon using these methods since genetic transformation of humans is not some thing that will likely happen soon.
It would be interesting to see what similar techniques would show in primates like monkeys and chimps. They would be a much better indicator of the human situation than mice due to their closer evolutionary relationships.

The relationship of these neurons to consciousness is largely speculative. It is supported by:
The neurons are in the clustrum and have widespread connections in the brain.
The clustrum, when stimulated (affecting large numbers of cells), affects consciousness.
One way of thinking about consciousness attributes widespread connections importance to the process.

Single cell stimulation of these neurons (in humans) would be interesting to do but probably not easy.
Some people (not me) might contend mice (and lots of other animals) don't have consciousness (which leads to apparently unresolvable arguments).

jim mcnamara said:
We humans already have a "brain coordination system" with a huge number of neural connections - the corpus callosum. It connects the two hemispheres of the human brain. I don't know mouse neuroanatomy well enough to see why the claim you mention is important. Or even if it is valid. Also there is no single giant neuron than encircles normal human brains. AFAIK.

When I follow links in the original popular science article I find mention of the claustrum in humans, which is thought to be a communications center for conscious thought in humans. AFAIK: This hypothesis is still at the maybe level - it needs a lot more research. However the claustrum is not a giant neuron. It is more like a very dense "glob" of many neurons.

People who are current in this field may want to bring us better updates. Here is a blog by a neurologist discussing the claustrum as the 'seat of conscious thought' from 2008. I would think if this were better validated by now, it would have been in popular science magazines by now.

Mice also have a corpus callosum. But it only coordinates left and right hemisphere, and you don't need both hemisphere to be conscious anyway. If you read the article, it is the interconnectedness between portions of neocortex, a well as claustrom, that makes Koch think it's relevant to consciousness.

There could be, but Koch is always speculating about consciousness so I wouldn't hold my breath.

1. What is a "giant neuron"?

A giant neuron is a type of nerve cell that is much larger than other neurons in the brain. These neurons are typically found in the cerebral cortex, which is the outer layer of the brain responsible for higher thinking and complex behaviors.

2. How big is the giant neuron around the circumference of the brain?

The size of the giant neuron can vary, but it is typically around 10 times larger than a regular neuron. This means it can have a diameter of up to 100 microns, compared to the average neuron diameter of 10 microns.

3. What is the function of the giant neuron?

The exact function of the giant neuron is still being studied, but it is believed to play a role in processing information and coordinating communication between different areas of the brain.

4. Are giant neurons found in all brains?

No, giant neurons are not found in all brains. They have been observed in certain species, such as humans, primates, and some other mammals, but not in all animals.

5. Can damage to the giant neuron affect brain function?

As the function of the giant neuron is still being studied, it is not fully understood how damage to it may affect brain function. However, it is possible that disruptions to communication between different areas of the brain may occur, leading to potential changes in behavior and cognitive abilities.