Gibbs Free Energy -- Connection between V, P, N & T

In summary, the given expression for Gibbs free energy is used to obtain expressions for entropy (S), the equation of state (V = kTN/P), and internal energy (U). The equation of state is derived from the relationship dG = -SdT + VdP.
cake-jake1

Homework Statement

For a Particular system the following expression for Gibbs free energy is known:

G = -kTN ln (a T^(5/2) / P)

where a is a constant (whose dimensions make the argument of the logarithm dimensionless). Obtain expressions for

a) The entropy, S
b) The connection between V, P, N and T (Called the equation of state)
c) The Internal energy U

Homework Equations

a) For entropy it is known that S = - (dG/dT)p where p denotes constant pressure, I understand that this gives a derivative and I believe I have this section correct.

b) Main confusion comes from where to begin but would assume it is is PV=NKT equation.

c) calculating internal energy. It is known that G = U -TS + PV

The Attempt at a Solution

Nothing besides the problem statement was provided in the question and my main issue is with calculating part b.
As far as I am aware there are many equations of state, but have read here that V= (dG/dP) due to the relationship dG = -SdT + VdP.
Does this differential for V supply me with the correct answer?

I realize it seems that I may have answered my own question, however I just wish to be certain as its a university exam question with little guidance in our supplied texts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what is the value of [itex]V[/itex] you get from [itex]V = \frac{dG}{dP}[/itex]?

Likes Chestermiller
I ended up getting a Value of V = kTN/P

cake-jake1 said:
I ended up getting a Value of V = kTN/P

And that's exactly right.

1. What is Gibbs Free Energy?

Gibbs Free Energy (G) is a thermodynamic property that represents the maximum amount of energy that can be extracted from a system to do useful work at a constant temperature and pressure.

2. How is Gibbs Free Energy related to volume (V)?

According to the Gibbs-Helmholtz equation, the change in Gibbs Free Energy (ΔG) is directly proportional to the change in volume (ΔV) at constant temperature and pressure.

3. Does pressure (P) have an effect on Gibbs Free Energy?

Yes, pressure affects Gibbs Free Energy through the equation ΔG = ΔH - TΔS, where ΔH is the change in enthalpy and ΔS is the change in entropy. Changes in pressure can affect both of these values, thus altering the overall Gibbs Free Energy.

4. How does the number of moles (N) affect Gibbs Free Energy?

The number of moles does not have a direct effect on Gibbs Free Energy. However, it can indirectly impact Gibbs Free Energy through changes in enthalpy and entropy, as seen in the equation ΔG = ΔH - TΔS.

5. Is there a connection between temperature (T) and Gibbs Free Energy?

Yes, temperature has a significant effect on Gibbs Free Energy. In fact, the standard Gibbs Free Energy of formation (ΔGf°) is defined at a temperature of 298K. Changes in temperature can also impact the values of enthalpy and entropy, ultimately altering the Gibbs Free Energy of a system.