Graphing the Gibbs free energy of mixed gases

In summary: Gibbs free energy is at its lowest.In summary, to graph the Gibbs free energy of mixed gases, we need to choose a temperature and pressure and then use the equation ##G = (1-X)G_A + (X)G_B + RT(x*ln(x) + (1-X)*ln(1-X))## to calculate the Gibbs free energy at different molar fractions of gas B. This will result in a parabolic graph, with the lowest point representing the minimum Gibbs free energy and indicating the range in which the gases will form an ideal mixture.
grandpa2390

Homework Statement

I am needing to graph the Gibbs free energy of mixed gases to determine the range when the gases will form an ideal mixture
The two gases have the same Gibbs free energy.

Homework Equations

##G = (1-X)G_A + XG_B## for unmixed
##G = (1-X)G_A + (X)G_B + RT(x*ln(x) + (1-X)*ln(1-X))## for mixed
## U = 6nTx_Ax_B## x_A and x_B are molar fractions of the gases.

The Attempt at a Solution

so my attempt is that since the Gibbs of both gases equal the same, then ##G_A = G_B## so ##G = G_{AB} + RT(x*ln(x) + (1-X)*ln(1-X))##

I am not sure how to graph that. I don't know what T is.
the second formula assumes that U does not change. But in this problem, it appears that U does. So I am thinking that my formula would be to add U in that equation:

##G = G_{AB} + 6nT(x)(1-x) + RT(x*ln(x) + (1-x)*ln(1-x))##

I don't know how to graph this because there are 3 independent variables still... ( T, x, and n) But I have to graph it somehow in order to estimate the range where the gases will form an good mixture.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. I can assist you with graphing the Gibbs free energy of mixed gases. First, let's clarify some things about the equations you have provided.

The first equation you have provided, ##G = (1-X)G_A + XG_B##, is actually the equation for the Gibbs free energy of an unmixed system, where X is the molar fraction of gas B and (1-X) is the molar fraction of gas A.

The second equation, ##G = (1-X)G_A + (X)G_B + RT(x*ln(x) + (1-X)*ln(1-X))##, is the equation for the Gibbs free energy of a mixed system, where X is the molar fraction of gas B and (1-X) is the molar fraction of gas A. The term RT(x*ln(x) + (1-X)*ln(1-X)) is known as the entropy of mixing, which takes into account the randomness of the molecules in a mixed system.

Now, for your attempt at a solution, there are a few things to clarify. First, the Gibbs free energy of each gas, G_A and G_B, will not necessarily be equal. They may be equal at certain temperatures and pressures, but in general, they will be different. Second, the term U in your equation is not needed, as it is already taken into account in the entropy of mixing term.

To graph the Gibbs free energy of mixed gases, we need to first choose a temperature and pressure at which we want to graph. Let's say we choose a temperature of 298 K and a pressure of 1 atm. Now, we can use the equation ##G = (1-X)G_A + (X)G_B + RT(x*ln(x) + (1-X)*ln(1-X))## to calculate the Gibbs free energy of the mixed system at different molar fractions of gas B. We can then plot these values on a graph, with the molar fraction of gas B on the x-axis and the Gibbs free energy on the y-axis.

The resulting graph will have a shape similar to a parabola, with the lowest point representing the minimum Gibbs free energy of the system. This is the point at which the gases will form an ideal mixture, as the Gibbs free energy is at its lowest possible value. The range in which the gases will form an ideal mixture can

1. What is Gibbs free energy?

Gibbs free energy is a thermodynamic concept that describes the energy available for a chemical reaction to occur at a constant temperature and pressure. It takes into account both the enthalpy (heat) and entropy (disorder) of a system.

2. How is Gibbs free energy related to mixed gases?

In the context of mixed gases, Gibbs free energy is used to determine the spontaneity of a reaction between different gases. It takes into account the partial pressures, temperature, and composition of the gases to calculate the change in free energy during the reaction.

3. Why is it important to graph the Gibbs free energy of mixed gases?

Graphing the Gibbs free energy of mixed gases allows us to visually see the relationship between the reaction and the free energy change. It helps us understand the spontaneity of the reaction and can also provide insights into the equilibrium state of the system.

4. What factors affect the Gibbs free energy of mixed gases?

The Gibbs free energy of mixed gases is affected by temperature, pressure, and the composition of the gases involved. Changes in any of these factors can alter the free energy and, therefore, the spontaneity of the reaction.

5. How can graphing the Gibbs free energy of mixed gases be useful in practical applications?

Graphing the Gibbs free energy of mixed gases is useful in understanding the feasibility of a reaction and predicting its direction. This information can be used in industrial processes, such as in the production of chemicals, to optimize reaction conditions and increase efficiency.