Gibbs Free Energy of Atomic Hydrogen Ionization

In summary, the standard Gibbs free energy and standard entropy values for the ionization of gaseous atomic hydrogen are -1312 kJ/mol and 130.68 J/molK, respectively.
ientist

Homework Statement

Despite extensive searches of the web and my old honors freshman chem text, I have yet to find a kj /mol value for either the standard Gibbs' Free Energy (Delta-G-naught (298° K)) or standard ENTROPY (Delta-S-naught) for the ionization of gaseous ATOMIC Hydrogen (or for the reverse process; gaseous atomic Hydrogen formation from free protons and electrons)

Thanks in Advance

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can readily find reference to the 1312 kj/mol Ionization "Energy" (ENTHALPY (Delta-H-naught)) but I need the Gibbs free energy for comparisons, or at least the standard entropy change from which I can calculate Delta-G-naught

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for reaching out. The standard Gibbs free energy and standard entropy values for the ionization of gaseous atomic hydrogen can be found in various sources. The standard Gibbs free energy for this process is -1312 kJ/mol, which is the same value as the ionization energy you have mentioned. The standard entropy value for this process is 130.68 J/molK. These values can be found in standard thermodynamic tables or in online databases such as NIST Chemistry WebBook. I hope this helps with your calculations.

1. What is Gibbs Free Energy of Atomic Hydrogen Ionization?

The Gibbs Free Energy of Atomic Hydrogen Ionization is a thermodynamic quantity that measures the amount of energy required to remove an electron from a hydrogen atom in its ground state.

2. How is Gibbs Free Energy of Atomic Hydrogen Ionization calculated?

The Gibbs Free Energy of Atomic Hydrogen Ionization is calculated using the formula ΔG = -nFE, where ΔG is the change in Gibbs Free Energy, n is the number of moles of electrons transferred, F is Faraday's constant, and E is the standard electrode potential.

3. What is the significance of Gibbs Free Energy of Atomic Hydrogen Ionization?

The Gibbs Free Energy of Atomic Hydrogen Ionization is a measure of the thermodynamic stability of a hydrogen atom. A lower value of ΔG indicates a higher stability, meaning that it is more difficult to remove an electron from the atom.

4. How does temperature affect the Gibbs Free Energy of Atomic Hydrogen Ionization?

The Gibbs Free Energy of Atomic Hydrogen Ionization is temperature-dependent. As temperature increases, the value of ΔG decreases, meaning that it becomes easier to remove an electron from the hydrogen atom.

5. What is the practical application of studying the Gibbs Free Energy of Atomic Hydrogen Ionization?

Understanding the Gibbs Free Energy of Atomic Hydrogen Ionization is important in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. It can be used to predict the feasibility of certain chemical reactions and to design efficient energy systems.