Find the relation of chemical potentials in chemical reaction In hydrogen atom ionization

T and P, $$Nd\mu=0$$.In summary, the conversation discusses the chemical potential relation in hydrogen atom ionization and how it relates to the total Gibbs free energy. The conversation also touches on the Gibbs-Duhem equation and the dependence of internal energy on extensive variables. Ultimately, it is determined that, for a single chemical species at equilibrium, the relation can be written as dG = μdN.
cozycoz

Homework Statement

In hydrogen atom ionization [tex]H→p+e[/tex] show that ##μ_H=μ_p+μ_r##

Homework Equations

G=μN (N is the number of particles)

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) I think the question should say "Find chemical potential relation AT EQUILIBRIUM", don't you think?
(2) My professor said that because ##dN_H=-dN_p=-dN_e=dN##, the change of gibbs energy becomes [tex]dG=μ_HdN_H+μ_pdN_p+μ_edN_e
=(μ_H-μ_p-μ_e)dN[/tex] And the equilibrium occurs when dG=0, we can derive above relation.
But chemical potential also depends on N, so I think I can't simply write dG as above(cause extra ##\frac{∂μ}{∂N}N## terms should be included). How do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
When there are several species, each has its own chemical potential so the total Gibbs free energy has to be written as:

G = μH NH + μp Np + μe Ne

I think that, from the Gibbs-Duhem equation, we know that, at equilibrium, $$N_Hd\mu_H+N_pd\mu_p+N_ed\mu_e=0$$. This is pretty much the same thing that @Lord Jestocost said.

Likes DrClaude and Lord Jestocost
Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I think where @cozycoz is getting hung up is the notion that
$$dG \neq \mu dN + Nd\mu$$
but rather
$$dG = \mu dN$$
The best way I can think to explain this is to look at the definition of ##G##: ##G = U-TS+pV##. Here, the dependence on ##\mu## and ##N## is entirely contained within the definition of internal energy ##U##. But ##U## is defined as a function of extensive variables only: ##U = U(S,V,N)##. So taking the total differential of ##U## gives;
$$dU = \frac{\partial U}{\partial S}dS + \frac{\partial U}{\partial V}dV +\frac{\partial U}{\partial N}dN$$
and we define ##\frac{\partial U}{\partial S} \equiv T##, ##\frac{\partial U}{\partial V} \equiv p##, ##\frac{\partial U}{\partial N} \equiv \mu##.

Likes DrClaude
TeethWhitener said:
Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I think where @cozycoz is getting hung up is the notion that
$$dG \neq \mu dN + Nd\mu$$
For a single chemical species at equilibrium, this should be an equality, since, from the Clausius-Duhem equation, $$-SdT+VdP+Nd\mu=0$$

1. What is chemical potential in a chemical reaction?

Chemical potential is the energy required to change the state of a chemical species, such as breaking a bond or ionizing an atom. In a chemical reaction, the difference in chemical potential between the reactants and products determines the direction of the reaction.

2. How is chemical potential related to hydrogen atom ionization?

In the process of ionizing a hydrogen atom, the chemical potential of the atom decreases as an electron is removed from it. This decrease in chemical potential is equal to the ionization energy of the atom.

3. Can you explain the relation between chemical potentials in hydrogen atom ionization mathematically?

The chemical potential of a species is related to its energy by the equation μ = E + PV, where μ is the chemical potential, E is the energy, and PV is the pressure-volume term. In the case of hydrogen atom ionization, the chemical potential of the atom decreases as its energy decreases due to the removal of an electron.

4. How does temperature affect the chemical potentials in a chemical reaction?

Temperature affects the chemical potentials in a chemical reaction by changing the energy of the species involved. As temperature increases, the energy of the species also increases, leading to changes in their chemical potentials. This can affect the direction and rate of the reaction.

5. Is there a specific formula for calculating chemical potentials in a chemical reaction?

Yes, the chemical potential of a species can be calculated using the Gibbs free energy equation, μ = μ° + RTln(x), where μ° is the standard chemical potential, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature, and x is the activity coefficient. This equation takes into account the temperature and concentration of the species in the reaction.