Give the two common forms of the mathematical equation for slope (involving X & Y)

In summary, the two common forms of the mathematical equation for slope are y2-y1/x2-x1 and -A/B for a given line with coordinates (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) or with an equation of Ax + By + C = 0, respectively.
1337Montage

Homework Statement

Give the two common forms of the mathematical equation for slope (involving X & Y)?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

Can you guys please give me the two common forms of the mathematical equation for slope? I don't know what it is but I am guessing it's slope=rise/run and slope=y2-y1/x2-x1

Physics news on Phys.org

y2-y1/x2-x1 is the definition of rise/run. And rise/run is not really a legitimate mathematical formula. The slope is also the derivative of y with respect to x at a given point: dy/dx. I don't know if that's exactly what your'e looking for, though.

musicmar said:
y2-y1/x2-x1 is the definition of rise/run. And rise/run is not really a legitimate mathematical formula. The slope is also the derivative of y with respect to x at a given point: dy/dx. I don't know if that's exactly what your'e looking for, though.

So basically you are saying that the two defining equations are y2-y1/x2-x1 and dy/dx.
That does make sense because the previous question asked me for the defining equation of the concept of slope, which my teacher said was slope=rise/run.

EDIT: But I am a little confused about dy/dx...

I don't know what level of math you are in, but dy/dx, or the derivative of y with respect to x, is from calc 1. If you are in a lower level math class than calculus, you will not have learned derivatives yet, and I don't know another definition of slope.

The question is quite unclear.
Any how I have these two forms-
If co-ordinates of the points are given (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) then the slope is m = y2-y1/x2-x1

If the equation of the straight line is given-
Ax + By + C =0
then slope m = -A/B

Related to Give the two common forms of the mathematical equation for slope (involving X & Y)

1. What is the slope-intercept form of a linear equation?

The slope-intercept form of a linear equation is y = mx + b, where m represents the slope and b represents the y-intercept.

2. How do you find the slope of a line using the slope-intercept form?

The slope of a line can be found by identifying the coefficient of x, which is represented by m in the slope-intercept form.

3. What is the point-slope form of a linear equation?

The point-slope form of a linear equation is y - y1 = m(x - x1), where m represents the slope and (x1, y1) represents a point on the line.

4. How do you convert an equation from point-slope form to slope-intercept form?

To convert an equation from point-slope form to slope-intercept form, you can use algebraic manipulation to isolate y on one side of the equation and rewrite it in the form y = mx + b.

5. Can slope-intercept form be used for non-linear equations?

No, slope-intercept form can only be used for linear equations. Non-linear equations do not have a constant slope, so they cannot be represented in this form.