Given g and T, find volume & mass of atmosphere

In summary, the atmosphere of the planet in question has a mass and volume similar to Earth's, but the Nitrogen-Oxygen ratio is different, resulting in a slightly lower atmospheric pressure.
brainfuel
I'm working on building a world, and I have established the mass and radius of the planet, as well as its distance from its star and mean surface temp.

I have determined g (10.33 m/s^2) at sea level, and wonder if this plus the mean surface temp is enough to get a rough idea of the atmosphere's total mass & volume?

Can I just "assign" "appropriate" values for mean atmospheric density and atm pressure at sea level, or will those be dependent on other factors?

TIA
B

Physics news on Phys.org
If it helps - I've given the atmosphere a composition with a molar mass of 0.02913351 kg/mol.

I considered the barometric formula to solve this, but I don't have Pb, Tb, or Lb.

brainfuel said:
If it helps - I've given the atmosphere a composition with a molar mass of 0.02913351 kg/mol.

I considered the barometric formula to solve this, but I don't have Pb, Tb, or Lb.

I don't know all the math behind this, if the composition of the atmosphere is similar to earth, I'm wondering if you could simply increase the mass by the same proportion as the gravity increased. What do you think?

Drakkith said:
I don't know all the math behind this, if the composition of the atmosphere is similar to earth, I'm wondering if you could simply increase the mass by the same proportion as the gravity increased. What do you think?

I've given a composition fairly similar to Earth's - the primary difference is the Nitrogen-Oxygen ratio (instead of 78:21, I made it 69:27, & threw in a couple percent Ne to balance it out). I think I've got it sorted - so I'll dump the math here & see if it seems legit.

molar mass (M) = 0.02914 kg/mol
atmospheric density = 1.28 kg/m^3
depth of atmosphere = 120000 m (compared to 100000 m for 99.99997% of Earth's atmosphere, per Wikipedia)
standard temp (T) = 290.75 K

So for a column of air over one square meter, V = 120000 m^3

120000 m^3 * 1.28 kg/m^3 = 153600 kg of atmosphere per m^2 surface area

153600 kg / 0.02914 kg/mol = 5.271105e6 mol

P = nRT/V = 5.271105e6 mol * 8.314472 Pa m^3 / K mol * 290.75 K / 120000 m^3 = 106187.85 Pa = 106.188 kPa = 1.048 atm

I'm not 100% sure on the density - I've found Earth's atmospheric density at sea level ranging anywhere from 1.2 - 1.29 kg/m^3. The average density of Earth's atmosphere comes out to about 0.099 kg/m^3. It seems like I should probably use that in the equation, but then I come up with a pressure of about 82 kPa, which seems much too low. Not sure if the atmosphere should be significantly thicker than earth's, or if I've got a flaw somewhere else in the process??

The wikipedia article on Atmospheric Models is helpful. However, if you have the density, molecular weight, and temperature (all measured) at sea level, (assuming air is an ideal gas) the equation for the pressure at sea level is [tex] \frac{\rho{}TR}{M}[/tex] where [tex] \rho{} [/tex] is the density, R is the molar gas constant, T is the temperature, and M is the molecular weight. The value I get is about 106.2 kPa. This forumla is just a rearrangement of the ideal gas law.
brainfuel said:
The average density of Earth's atmosphere comes out to about 0.099 kg/m^3.
Since the pressure in the atmosphere decreases with altitude, so does its density. It turns out not to be a good approximation to assume it is of constant density for the first 100 Km and zero thereafter.

Last edited:
IsometricPion said:
The wikipedia article on Atmospheric Models is helpful. However, if you have the density, molecular weight, and temperature (all measured) at sea level, (assuming air is an ideal gas) the equation for the pressure at sea level is [tex] \frac{\rho{}TR}{M}[/tex] where [tex] \rho{} [/tex] is the density, R is the molar gas constant, T is the temperature, and M is the molecular weight. The value I get is about 106.2 kPa. This forumla is just a rearrangement of the ideal gas law.Since the pressure in the atmosphere decreases with altitude, so does its density. It turns out not to be a good approximation to assume it is of constant density for the first 100 Km and zero thereafter.

Okay, that makes sense, and seems to work out to the same result I'd found before. Now I just have to find out if that's a plausible number for the planet in question, which has radius r = 7080 km (1.11 x Earth) and mass m = 7.766 e24 kg (1.3 x Earth). Who knows, I may end up doing all the math over again...

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of the atmosphere?

The formula for calculating the volume of the atmosphere is V = gT, where V is the volume, g is the gravitational constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

2. How do you determine the mass of the atmosphere using g and T?

To determine the mass of the atmosphere, you can use the formula M = PV/RT, where M is the mass, P is the atmospheric pressure, V is the volume, R is the universal gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

3. Can you explain the significance of using g and T to find the volume and mass of the atmosphere?

Using g and T allows us to calculate the volume and mass of the atmosphere without needing to measure each individual component. This is because g and T are fundamental properties that affect the entire atmosphere and can be used in mathematical equations to determine the overall volume and mass.

4. Is the volume and mass of the atmosphere constant or does it change?

The volume and mass of the atmosphere are not constant and can vary due to factors such as changes in temperature, pressure, and composition. However, these changes are relatively small and the overall volume and mass of the atmosphere remain relatively stable.

5. How accurate are the calculations for determining the volume and mass of the atmosphere using g and T?

The accuracy of the calculations depends on the accuracy of the values used for g and T, as well as other variables such as pressure and temperature. With precise measurements and accurate values, the calculations can be very accurate. However, there may be slight variations due to the constantly changing nature of the atmosphere.