Given ∆Hf = -607 kJ/mol and S = 417 J, find ∆H and ∆S

• Thread starter AMan24
  • Start date
In summary, the student is trying to find an answer to a problem and is looking for help from others.
AMan24

Homework Statement

Ni (s) + 4 CO(g) ↔ Ni(CO)4(g)

For Ni(CO)4(g), ∆Hf = -607 kJ/mol and S = 417 J/mol⋅K at 298 K. Using these values and data in the Appendix of your text, calculate ∆H and ∆S for the above reaction.

Homework Equations

no idea

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to solve this, because my lab class somehow ended up a week ahead of lecture, so i haven't even learned thermodynamics yet.

I think i found the answers online but i need to show work.
∆S°= -409.5 J/K
∆H° =−160.8 kJ

I'm trying to look up formulas right now and find something i can use.

Physics news on Phys.org
AMan24 said:
I don't know how to solve this, because my lab class somehow ended up a week ahead of lecture, so i haven't even learned thermodynamics yet.
Don't you have a textbook?

We can't do your work for you, but have a look at http://chem.libretexts.org/Core/Phy...tions/Enthalpy/Standard_Enthalpy_Of_Formation
https://www.chem.tamu.edu/class/majors/tutorialnotefiles/enthalpy.htm
https://www.chem.tamu.edu/class/majors/tutorialnotefiles/gibbs.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Hae can you define it clearly ∆H° is for and also∆s°

Can you send the questions image

Timakki said:
Can you send the questions image

heres the image if it helps

boBmFEm.png

DrClaude said:
Don't you have a textbook?
We can't do your work for you, but have a look at

Yeah i don't want to come across like I'm hoping someone will do the work for me, i really try to avoid posting things like this.

I do have a textbook, but i didn't want to read the entire chapter in one night so i could answer one question. I was hoping someone could just tell me the equations and i could plug them in.

I'll take a look at the links you posted tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is ∆H?

∆H refers to the change in enthalpy, which is a measure of the heat energy of a system.

2. What is ∆Hf?

∆Hf refers to the change in enthalpy of formation, which is the energy change that occurs when a compound is formed from its constituent elements under standard conditions.

3. What is S?

S refers to the entropy, which is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system.

4. How do you calculate ∆H and ∆S using the given values?

To calculate ∆H, you can use the formula ∆H = ∆Hf + ∆nH, where ∆nH is the change in the number of moles of gaseous products minus the number of moles of gaseous reactants. To calculate ∆S, you can use the formula ∆S = ∆Sf + ∆nS, where ∆Sf is the change in entropy of formation and ∆nS is the change in the number of moles of gaseous products minus the number of moles of gaseous reactants.

5. What are the units for ∆H and ∆S?

The units for ∆H are usually kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol) and the units for ∆S are usually joules per mole-kelvin (J/mol-K).