Giving Chemistry Tutoring: Tips From a 3rd Year Student

• Thread starter mycotheology
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tutoring
In summary, the 3rd year chemistry student is offering tutoring to 1st years. He is worried about how well he will do because he has never done this before. He is doing the 1st year exam papers and he is charging half price. He thinks that the exam paper approach is a good back-up approach.
mycotheology
I'm a 3rd year chemistry student and I put my name on a list of people offering tutoring, I stated that I can give tutoring to 1st years. I got a call a few days ago so I am scheduled to give a tutoring session. This is the first time I've done this so I don't know how well I can do it. I got a load of first year exam papers and I am doing them right now (excellent revision) so when I see the guy, I'm going to show him how to do all the questions on the past exam papers and explain to him all the theory behind it as I go. Is that a good approach? I'm worried that when I get there, there'll be stuff that I have forgotten and won't be able to explain. I'm only charging him half price though so I'd say he won't mind if there's a question or two I can't answer. For example, in organic chem, I don't remember every step of every mechanism of the common reaction classes so I'll have to look it up. I can explain to him the theory behind why the steps of the mechanisms occur though which should be helpful.

I'm guessing lots of you here have experience with this. Is this exam paper approach a good one?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that's a good back-up approach. I suggest first asking him what he's struggling with. If he's unsure or vague, then go to the exam questions.

Not everybody may think this, but occasionally forgetting something as a tutor can be a great thing. It shows the student that you're only human and not perfect. Furthermore, you can then show the student how to deal with unknown information.

The worst thing you can possibly do is make up some wrong or confusing things to hide that you don't know it. Always be as open about it as you can. And if you really can't figure it out, then tell the student you'll get back to him.

It went pretty well. I asked him what he's struggling with and he showed me a question that confused the hell outta me so I couldn't help him there but it turned out he knew barely any organic chemistry so I was able to teach him loads of stuff he'll need to know for the exams in the hour. The question he was stuck on was a ridiculous question to ask a 1st year in my opinion, the question was to draw a d pi bonding orbital. His course didn't cover anything about d block compounds. I think I know what these MOs look like (same as a p pi bonding orbital but with 4 lobes instead of 2) but I have no idea how you could draw it on a 2D sheet of paper.

I like the idea of tutoring a lot now because I have to revise the stuff I learned in the past which reinforces my knowledge and ensures that it will always be fresh in my mind. For now, I'm charging €20 per hour and I go out to them (so some of what I make goes into transport), more experienced tutorers around here charge twice that and you have to go to them so this works out good for everyone.

Last edited:

I would like to applaud your initiative in offering tutoring services to first year students. It shows a strong understanding of the subject and a willingness to help others learn. However, I would recommend that you also focus on developing your teaching skills.

Simply going through past exam papers may not be the most effective approach for tutoring. It is important to understand the student's individual learning style and tailor your teaching methods accordingly. Additionally, it is important to have a solid understanding of the fundamentals and concepts, rather than just being able to solve exam questions.

Furthermore, it is important to be prepared for any questions that may come up during the tutoring session. I would suggest reviewing the material beforehand and having resources such as textbooks or online references available in case you need to look up any information.

In terms of charging half price, I would advise against it. Your time and expertise are valuable, and you should be compensated accordingly. It is also important to set clear expectations and boundaries with your student regarding what you can and cannot cover during the tutoring session.

Overall, I believe that your approach of combining theory and practice is a good one. However, I would encourage you to also focus on developing your teaching skills and being well-prepared for the tutoring session. Good luck with your first tutoring session!

1. What are some tips for giving effective chemistry tutoring?

Some tips for giving effective chemistry tutoring include preparing lesson plans, using visual aids and hands-on activities, asking open-ended questions to encourage critical thinking, and providing regular feedback and practice problems.

2. How can I make chemistry tutoring sessions more engaging?

To make chemistry tutoring sessions more engaging, try using real-world examples and relating concepts to students' interests, incorporating group work and interactive games, and encouraging students to ask questions and participate in discussions.

3. How can I help struggling students understand difficult chemistry concepts?

Some strategies for helping struggling students understand difficult chemistry concepts include breaking down the concept into smaller, more manageable parts, providing multiple explanations and examples, and offering additional resources and practice problems for extra support.

4. How can I keep track of my students' progress during chemistry tutoring sessions?

To keep track of students' progress, try using formative assessments such as quizzes or practice problems, having students explain their thought processes and reasoning, and keeping a record of their grades and areas of improvement.

5. How can I create a positive learning environment for chemistry tutoring?

To create a positive learning environment, establish clear expectations and boundaries, offer positive reinforcement and encouragement, listen actively to students' concerns and questions, and be patient and understanding with their learning process.