Global Food Exporters: Japan, USA, Australia, Canada

• Thread starter Soaring Crane
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food Global
In summary: Japan is the top contender based on the information you've provided. They import a lot of food, and they also have a high population density. They also have a lot of agricultural land, so they can produce food sustainably.
Soaring Crane
Which of the following countries is not one of the major exporters of food?

1. Japan
2. USA
3. Australia
4. Argentina
5. Canada

I read somewhere that the U.S. was the second largest exporter and Canada followed as the third largest one. I also think that Argentina is a top exporter, but I am not completely certain. I elimated the choices down to Japan and Australia, but isn't Australia a main player in beef?

Thanks for any help with the choices.

Physics news on Phys.org
I researched both Japan and Australia, and didnt get anything good to show you. I can, however, tell you that Argentina is the #1 in beef, so it seems very likely.

I did get a Catholic ProLife site though for typing in Australian food exportation! lol

Austrailia's major export is Sugar. The provide 2/3 of the world's sugar. You should see the sugar cane fields they have there! Mind boggling! It would put into a sugar induced coma just looking at it! :biggrin:

My vote is for Japan, small land mass, with lots of people to feed. Sea food, and apples/fruits seem to top there list of exports

hypatia said:
My vote is for Japan, small land mass, with lots of people to feed. Sea food, and apples/fruits seem to top there list of exports

Yah it has to be Japan. They import a lot of food too. I would have thought the US was the #1 exporter seeing as one state alone (CA) produces 1/4 of the worlds food supply.

I am listing the top 5 countries for food export with links so you can view the complete list. It is broken down by commodity. I am only going to list major categories, but you can find all categories at this site. I'm only going to list 2003 results.

Main site - http://www.intracen.org/tradstat/sitc3-3d/indexpe.htm This is the International Trade Center, United Nations database.

Top exporters of beef

Product group: 012 - MEAT NES,FRESH/CHLD/FROZ

Country...US $$
USA...3,522,901
Denmark...2,863,927
Brazil....2,470,951
Netherlands...2,425,703
France...2,087,619

http://www.intracen.org/tradstat/sitc3-3d/ep012.htm

Top exporters of vegetables

Product group: 054 - VEGETABLES,FRSH/CHLD/FRZ

Netherlands...4,187,130
Spain...3,875,507
Mexico...2,594,550
China...1,875,693
USA.....1,769,293

http://www.intracen.org/tradstat/sitc3-3d/ep054.htm

Top Exporters of Fish

Product group: 037 - FISH/SHELLFISH,PREP/PRES

Thailand...2,144,563
China....1,923,411
Denmark...532,643
Spain...468,898
Germany...468,389

http://www.intracen.org/tradstat/sitc3-3d/ep037.htm

Top Exporters of Cereal Grains

Product group: 045 - CEREAL GRAINS NES

USA.....612,333
Canada.....244,203
Germany...124,890
Argentina....64,573
China.....61,302

http://www.intracen.org/tradstat/sitc3-3d/ep045.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
wow ..I would of never considered the Netherlands..thanks for the eye opener

I was really surprised too. I guess they don't eat much in the Netherlands. :wink:

hypatia said:
wow ..I would of never considered the Netherlands..thanks for the eye opener

Especially considering how small the area of the country is with a very high population density.

It is Japan. Thanks everyone for pitching in, especially you, Evo! :smile:

plus said:
Especially considering how small the area of the country is with a very high population density.
Only 10% of the country has houses on it, in high density, the rest is all agricultural land and some water and some natural areas. The government has a rule that you can't build houses on agricultural land, so that's why it's hard to build more houses (and why they are too expensive).

Related to Global Food Exporters: Japan, USA, Australia, Canada

1. What are the top food exports from Japan, USA, Australia, and Canada?

Japan's top food exports include seafood, beef, and fruit. The USA's top food exports include soybeans, corn, and pork. Australia's top food exports include beef, wheat, and dairy products. Canada's top food exports include canola oil, wheat, and pork.

2. How do these countries ensure the safety and quality of their food exports?

These countries have strict regulations and standards in place to ensure the safety and quality of their food exports. They have government agencies, such as the Food and Drug Administration in the USA, that oversee and regulate the production and export of food. They also have rigorous testing and inspection processes to ensure that the food meets these standards.

3. Which country is the largest food exporter out of Japan, USA, Australia, and Canada?

The USA is the largest food exporter out of these four countries. In 2019, the USA exported over $140 billion worth of food products.

4. How do these countries handle any trade barriers or restrictions when exporting food?

These countries have trade agreements and negotiations in place to address any trade barriers or restrictions when exporting food. For example, the USA is a member of the World Trade Organization (WTO) and has various free trade agreements with other countries that help facilitate the trade of food products.

5. Are there any current challenges or issues facing these countries as food exporters?

One of the main challenges facing these countries as food exporters is the impact of climate change on food production. This can lead to disruptions in supply and affect the quality and safety of food exports. Additionally, trade tensions and political disputes between countries can also affect the export of food products.