GNU/Linux Dual Boot: Issues with Speed & Smoothness?

• Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dual
In summary: To install, open the terminal and type "sudo apt install pulseaudio-equalizer". Once installed, open the equalizer from the applications menu and adjust the settings to your liking. As for the dual boot question, allocating all hardware resources to one OS at a time should improve the speed of GNU/Linux. However, sound may still not be as smooth as on a Windows machine. It is possible to improve the sound quality by adjusting settings and using an equalizer, but it may not be as good as on a Windows machine. In summary, using a dual boot setup with allocated hardware resources to one OS at a time should improve the speed of GNU/Linux. However, the sound quality may not be as good as on a Windows machine and may
EngWiPy
I have been trying different distributions of GNU/Linux on virtual box. However, they are relatively slow with some lagging, and if I watch something on YouTube, sometimes the video and sound won't be smooth. I allocated 3 GB RAM, and 20 GB of hard disk for each distribution. Probably this is because I'm running a guest OS inside a host OS. My question is: if I do a dual boot instead where I allocate all the the hardware resources to one OS at a time, will I have any issues regarding the speed with GNU/Linux?

Computer science news on Phys.org
S_David said:
if I do a dual boot instead where I allocate all the the hardware resources to one OS at a time, will I have any issues regarding the speed with GNU/Linux?
You should not. And the videos should run pretty smooth.

As for the sound, Linux distros rarely get as good sound as Window machines out of the box. The difference is noticeable. You might have to play with the settings to get a nice sound. I always miss the IDT control panel which gives spectacular sound in Windows and most of the time comes already installed (depending on the seller).

Likes EngWiPy
How to improve the sound in Linux, say Debian? where can I find the IDT control panel? and if not installed how to install it? I want to try it on VB.

Did you solve this?

IDT control panel does not exist natively for Linux. You'll need an equalizer to improve the sound. Try the PulseAudio equalizer.

1. What is GNU/Linux dual boot?

GNU/Linux dual boot is a system in which a computer is able to run two operating systems, usually Windows and a Linux distribution, on the same hard drive. This allows the user to choose which operating system to boot into upon starting the computer.

2. Why am I experiencing speed and smoothness issues with my GNU/Linux dual boot?

There could be several reasons for speed and smoothness issues with a GNU/Linux dual boot. One common reason is that the two operating systems share the same resources, such as RAM and processing power, which can cause slower performance. Another reason could be that the Linux distribution is not optimized for the specific hardware of the computer.

3. How can I improve the speed and smoothness of my GNU/Linux dual boot?

There are several steps you can take to improve the speed and smoothness of your GNU/Linux dual boot. One option is to allocate more resources, such as RAM, to the Linux distribution. Another option is to use a lightweight Linux distribution that is optimized for speed and performance. You could also try disabling any unnecessary features or programs on both operating systems.

4. Are there any compatibility issues I should be aware of when setting up a GNU/Linux dual boot?

Yes, there can be compatibility issues when setting up a GNU/Linux dual boot. Some hardware, such as certain graphics cards or wireless adapters, may not be compatible with Linux and may cause issues with the smoothness and speed of the system. It is important to research and ensure that all hardware is compatible before setting up a dual boot.

5. Is it possible to switch between the two operating systems without rebooting my computer?

Yes, it is possible to switch between the two operating systems without rebooting your computer using virtualization software. This allows you to run one operating system within the other as a virtual machine. However, this may also impact the speed and smoothness of the system, so it is important to allocate enough resources for both operating systems to run smoothly.