Going to bed at 3 A.M. - bad rhythm?

• Thread starter powerflow
  • Start date
In summary: I really don't feel refreshed until the next morning.Your sleep pattern is fine. It's just that you need more of a balance between sleep and wakefulness.It's just that you need more of a balance between sleep and wakefulness.
powerflow
Hi,

currently, I am studying for an examination, and I believe I have developed a bad habbit of going to bed very late. Concerning the exam, there is still a lot to study for me, but I think I am doing well and it's not too stressful so that I can relax if I want to. In these days I do hardly go to University as I study at home instead. In the mornings, I wake up between 10 and 11 and then don't feel much like working. I usually start at 12-13 o'clock in the afternoon. But I am usually not that efficient and I take a break usually from 17-18 or to 19 o'clock. It is then that I become really efficient and it's the evening time when I become really good. I usually work to 2 or 3 in the morning and then go to bed. My parents hate it, but usually I feel best in the evening/night and when I see that I have only three or four hours remaining till 2 or three o'clock (bedtime), I really try hard and feel like I don't want to let the day go. Usually, I manage to get ahead a lot in the evenings, my peak is around 22:00 I would say.

I sometimes wanted to change that pace and go to bed earlier, but the feeling that I don't want to let that day go without finishing this or that chapter always makes me go on till 2 or 3 in the morning.

Is that a bad rhythm/pace? Should I absolutely change it? What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dunno but I also find I become very productive around 10-11pm. Although I also usually am very productive for about an hour after I get up, before I have a chance to get frustrated.

Mine is around 3-5 am... I'm not helping eh :biggrin:

You're just like me. I will sometimes stay up until 4 in the morning to study for exams or finish homework. If works very well unless you have morning classes.

1. Sleep at least 8 hours a day (11 PM to 8 AM)
2. Eat properly 3 times a day
3. Do not surf on the internet/watch TV from evening to 11 PM and work from 11 PM to 3 AM kind of things.
4. Work out/exercise at least once a week

I don't what could prevent anyone from having these. I fail to do either of them when I leave things to the last moment or do not plan things properly.

I used to wake up at 2AM, half an hour before I went to bed. I'd run 18 miles, then work a full shift at the box factory. After lunch I'd go to classes and then I'd hit the books.

That lasted a day.

If you have a time of day that is the most efficient for you, then use it. But also get enough sleep.

If you go to bed at 2am, and wake up at 10 or 11am, you're getting plenty of sleep. I don't think this is a bad rhythm, as long as you're able to meet all of your responsibilities waking up that late.

Just make sure you get the 8 hours of sleep that your body requires, Losing even one hour of sleep can have dramatic impacts on your mental abilities.

Jack21222 said:
Just make sure you get the 8 hours of sleep that your body requires, Losing even one hour of sleep can have dramatic impacts on your mental abilities.

I concur.

I went to sleep at 4am and woke up at 6am for an exam 3 hours later, tried coffee for the first time too because I could barely keep my head up. It tasted horrible... Anyway, going into the physics exam I felt awake but this was probably due to the adrenaline or whatever of doing a big exam. Later after getting home and having a good long sleep till later that night, I started to think back to the questions and realized that while I got one of the equations right and did all the working to find the answer from there, I completely failed at the intuitive idea of the problem.

Basically it was talking about a spool with thread and if you pull on the thread at different angles, for some angle the spool will roll away from you, and for other angles it will slide across the floor to you. I said above the critical angle, pulling will make it slide to you. It just seems really obvious to me that it would roll away... but not then when I was sleep deprived!

Yeah same here, my favorite sleeping time is 4am-12am and then starting around 2pm. The only problem I can see in it (besides the fact it really seems to frustrate my parents who seem to just see the "getting up at 12am"-part), is the fact most exams are about 9am-ish, and then... well that's just pure hell then isn't it :( But it's not like I have a choice, my body slips into the late hours if possible.

And then, the vodka helps ruin sleeping rhythms as well doesn't it eh mr.vodka? :biggrin:

I also enjoy being awake and usually don't want to sleep till I can't stay awake any longer which makes my schedule drift further and further into the night and well into the morning each day, for example now, it's 4am and even though I have to wake up in 3 hours I'm still stupid enough to ignore that distant nagging that was my mum telling me earlier to get a good nights rest.

But don't get me wrong, I still love my sleep!

Lol I really regret this nickname -- I hardly drink any vodka at all (few times in a year)

Fun to see so many people with the same retarded natural bio-clock :) (or maybe the world is retarded for getting up at 7am -- just those words make me shudder)

For some reason I had this utopia imagined that in my first year of College, I could finally sleep when I want, but it turned out I had more hours of classes in college than I had in high school. I wonder if it'll cool down in my master (graduate) years... (?)

mr. vodka said:
Lol I really regret this nickname -- I hardly drink any vodka at all (few times in a year)
And I'm not so much a cross between a mental and metallic anymore either :wink:

Fun to see so many people with the same retarded natural bio-clock :) (or maybe the world is retarded for getting up at 7am -- just those words make me shudder)
I like it too, and especially since my parents are always saying in some form or another "you're stupid, lazy and sick in the head - does anyone else sleep when the sun comes up?" I tell them yes it does happen, but as if they're going to believe me. Let's not consider that I'm on my holiday break and I would wake up at 6am each day for months at a time during uni.

Everybody seems to have a natural rhythm that works for them. I once shared an apartment with a work colleague who loved to stay up late (3-4am). But, because of work hours (8am start) he forced himself to go to bed at 11pm Sunday through Thursday nights. Friday was a long day because he'd stay up until 4am, sleep late, stay up again until 4am, sleep late, then go to bed dutifully at 11pm Sunday to start the new week. He repeated this pattern week after week. To this day I don't understand how he was able to do it.

What are the risks of going to bed at 3 A.M.?

Going to bed at 3 A.M. can disrupt your natural sleep cycle and lead to sleep deprivation. This can result in a range of negative health effects, including fatigue, difficulty concentrating, and decreased immune function.

How does going to bed at 3 A.M. affect the body's internal clock?

Our bodies have a natural sleep-wake cycle, also known as the circadian rhythm, that is regulated by the release of hormones. Going to bed at 3 A.M. can disrupt this rhythm and cause our bodies to feel out of sync, leading to difficulty falling asleep at a normal time.

Can going to bed at 3 A.M. affect mental health?

Research has shown that irregular sleep patterns, such as going to bed at 3 A.M., can contribute to mental health issues such as depression and anxiety. This is because lack of sleep can impact mood and increase stress levels.

What are some long-term effects of consistently going to bed at 3 A.M.?

Consistently going to bed at 3 A.M. can lead to chronic sleep deprivation, which has been linked to a range of health problems including obesity, heart disease, and diabetes. It can also affect cognitive function and increase the risk of accidents.

How can I improve my sleep schedule if I am used to going to bed at 3 A.M.?

To improve your sleep schedule, it is important to establish a consistent bedtime and wake-up time. Gradually shifting your bedtime earlier by 15-30 minutes each night can also help. Additionally, creating a relaxing bedtime routine and avoiding screens before bed can improve your ability to fall asleep at a normal time.