Going to college before uni for engineering?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the potential benefits of going to college before university for engineering students. While some people believe that it can provide practical experience, others argue that it may not be worth the extra time and money. The distinction between theoretical and practical experience in engineering is also discussed, with the suggestion to research individual departments to find the best fit for one's goals.
Kenny Bala
Hey guys,

I'm a senior in high school and I recently finished all my university applications, all of which revolve around computer/electrical engineering and computer science. While I plan on going to university and then possibly grad school, I keep hearing however that it would be a great benefit to go to college first, in order to gain some practical experience rather than largely theoretical experience. Would going to college prior to university be of any benefit for engineering or is there no real benefit to spending an extra year or two in school?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently, you must not realize that colleges and universities are both academic institutions.

SteamKing said:
Apparently, you must not realize that colleges and universities are both academic institutions.

I do realize that, however to my knowledge there are significant differences in the education you receive at least in engineering. I'm just curious if college before university would be of any help for engineering
SteamKing said:

It would be very useful to know what country you are in. I assume you are not in the US. If you are, see SteamKing's answer above. Otherwise it varies so widely from country to country that nobody can really answer the question without more information. I'm a bit familiar with Canadian colleges and the problem there is that you won't take much coursework that transfers to a university. You will basically learn how to be a programmer or computer technician but you won't learn any theory and you won't take any of the math or physics necessary. So basically you're just spending an extra 2 years in school and not really getting anything that benefits you. I have no idea why anyone would do that if their goal is a 4 year degree.

IMO, it's better to get thru your post secondary education as quickly as possible. It's less expensive and more importantly, the quicker you are finished with school, the quicker you are in starting your career and the rest of your life. It's pointless spending six or eight years getting a four-year degree, especially if you plan on post-graduate work.

And you haven't made clear how going to college would give you 'practical' experience instead of 'theoretical' experience.

alan2 said:
It would be very useful to know what country you are in. I assume you are not in the US. If you are, see SteamKing's answer above. Otherwise it varies so widely from country to country that nobody can really answer the question without more information. I'm a bit familiar with Canadian colleges and the problem there is that you won't take much coursework that transfers to a university. You will basically learn how to be a programmer or computer technician but you won't learn any theory and you won't take any of the math or physics necessary. So basically you're just spending an extra 2 years in school and not really getting anything that benefits you. I have no idea why anyone would do that if their goal is a 4 year degree.

Yeah, I should have specified that. I'm in Canada and here our colleges are somewhat the equivalent of community colleges in the US. I was just curious, as I'd been hearing from people who graduated that going to college first allows you to gain more practical and hands on knowledge about engineering and I was wondering what truth there was to that.

Oh lucky guess. I'm in the US and I've noticed that engineering departments can be very different from each other. Even though engineers don't really make an official distinction between theory and application you will find that informal separation in many departments. I know engineers who can design and engineers who can build. I, personally, would look closely at the departments you are interested in and see if their curriculum matches what you want. If you want hands on programming skills you can find that. If you want bench skills you can find that. I don't really see the benefit of what you call "practical experience" because you can find that in your university program at the same time you are getting your 4 year degree and save a lot of time and money.

1. What is the difference between college and university for engineering?

College typically refers to a two-year program where students can earn an associate's degree in engineering. University, on the other hand, is a four-year program where students can earn a bachelor's degree in engineering. University programs often offer more in-depth and specialized courses compared to college programs.

2. Is it necessary to attend college before going to university for engineering?

No, it is not necessary to attend college before going to university for engineering. Many students choose to go straight to university after high school. However, attending college first can provide a strong foundation in math and science courses that are necessary for engineering studies.

3. Can I transfer credits from college to university for engineering?

Yes, it is possible to transfer credits from college to university for engineering. However, the transfer process and the number of credits accepted may vary depending on the specific college and university. It is important to research and plan ahead if you are considering this option.

4. Are there any benefits to attending college before university for engineering?

Attending college before university for engineering can provide a smoother transition for students who may not be fully prepared for the rigorous coursework of a university program. It can also be a more cost-effective option for those who want to save money on tuition before transferring to a university.

5. What types of programs are available at colleges for engineering?

Colleges typically offer associate's degrees in various fields of engineering, such as mechanical, electrical, and civil engineering. Some colleges may also offer certificate programs or specialized courses in specific areas of engineering. It is important to research and choose a college program that aligns with your career goals and interests.