Good Books on Quantum Computing and Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the conversation is about someone beginning their M.S Program in Solid State Electronics and wanting to learn more about quantum computing and superconductors. They ask for book recommendations and mention their background in Physics, including their current reading of Sakurai's Modern QM book. They also mention possibly looking into Kittel's book for superconductivity. Suggestions are given for Nielsen and Chuang's book as a standard reference for quantum computing and a detailed textbook on superconductivity.
fmpak93
Hello guys, I will be starting my M.S Program in Solid State Electronics and was also curious about looking into quantum computing/superconductors. So can you guys suggest introductory levels books on quantum computing and and superconductors?

I have an okay background in Physics (just graduated with a bachelors in Physics). I am currently reading Sakurai's Modern QM book in order to better understand basic QM theories. I have not had a problem with it so far and find it more appealing than Griffiths text used in my previous QM course.

As for possessing a background to study superconductivity, I might look into Kittel's book on SS our undergrad department uses(though I've heard not-so-good things about it). Yeah I don't know where to go from there.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What are the best books for beginners to learn about quantum computing and quantum mechanics?

Some popular books for beginners include "Quantum Computing for Computer Scientists" by Yanofsky and Mannucci, "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Susskind and Friedman, and "Quantum Computing: A Gentle Introduction" by Rieffel and Polak.

2. Are there any books that cover both quantum computing and quantum mechanics in depth?

Yes, "Quantum Computing: From Linear Algebra to Physical Realizations" by Nielsen and Chuang provides a comprehensive overview of both topics and is often considered the standard textbook for graduate level courses.

3. Can you recommend any books that focus specifically on the practical applications of quantum computing?

"Quantum Computing: Practical Applications of Quantum Theory Explained" by Granville and Ruddell and "Quantum Computing for Everyone" by Bernhardt both offer a practical perspective on quantum computing and its potential applications.

4. I have a strong background in mathematics and physics. Which books would you recommend for a more advanced understanding of quantum computing and quantum mechanics?

"Quantum Computing since Democritus" by Aaronson and "Quantum Computation and Quantum Information" by Nielsen and Chuang are both highly regarded texts for those with a strong mathematical and physics foundation.

5. Are there any books that offer a historical perspective on the development of quantum mechanics and quantum computing?

"The Quantum Universe: Everything that Can Happen Does Happen" by Cox and Forshaw and "Einstein's Unfinished Revolution: The Search for What Lies Beyond the Quantum" by Smolin both offer a historical and conceptual look at the development of quantum mechanics and its potential future implications.