Good Games for Sleep: Find the Perfect Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for inducing sleep, such as playing a calm game on a laptop or solving mathematical problems in a peaceful environment. The group also discusses the concept of compactness in a metric space and the task of proving certain implications between different conditions. They also mention the benefits of keeping the mind occupied with neutral or impersonal thoughts in order to achieve better sleep.
Anton Alice
Does anyone know a game, that is good for sleep? I have quite a signifcant problem with sleeping, and I would like to try out that, if there is something around. should not be too aggressive. Something that can be played on a laptop, while lying in bed.
I tried Dirt Rally. Well, even if I sit straight, completely awake, and try hard... I can not keep the damn car on track.

Physics news on Phys.org
I find that trying to solve mathematical problems while lying in a comfy bed in a peaceful, dark room, puts me to sleep.
A favourite of mine is the set of equivalent conditions for a metric space to be compact. There are several equivalent conditions:
1- Cauchy sequences converge
2- every sequence contains a convergent subsequence
3- space is complete and bounded
4- every open cover has a finite subcover

These may not all be exactly right. Part of the project is to work out for each one what the correct statement of the condition is.
The task is to prove that 1 implies 2, 2 implies 3, 3 implies 4 and 4 implies 1. If I get stuck, I try reordering them.
I have never gotten past completing one or two steps before waking up and finding it is the next morning.

I think one reason it works is that, like successful meditation (which I am no good at), it pushes all the busy, whirling, anxiety-provoking thoughts about one's life out of the mind.

isnt it that 4 is the most general? 3 only works on ℝn

But yeah,I found that effectively thinking about problems during the day, not only of mathematical kind, but something that is really on-topic, like a new invention for injured violinists, or new method for measuring eye vision is not only satisfactory, but also makes the mind tired, in a healthy manner.EDIT:

Oh sorry for my bad english. "x implies y" means y is needed to induce x.

Maybe this is why most mathematicians I have seen are very healthy physically. Because they sleep good, because their minds are occupied with things, which are neutral, or unpersonal.

Last edited:

1. What makes a game good for sleep?

A good game for sleep is one that promotes relaxation and reduces stress and anxiety. It should have soothing visuals and music, and gameplay that is not too stimulating or challenging.

2. Are there specific genres of games that are better for sleep?

Generally, puzzle, adventure, and simulation games tend to be more relaxing and conducive to sleep compared to action or competitive games. However, this can vary from person to person.

3. Can playing games before bed negatively affect sleep?

Yes, playing games right before bed can increase brain activity and make it difficult to fall asleep. It is recommended to stop playing at least an hour before bedtime and engage in more calming activities.

4. Are there any games specifically designed for promoting sleep?

Yes, there are games that have been specifically designed to help with sleep, such as "Sleepo" and "Slumber." These games incorporate relaxation techniques and soothing sounds to help players drift off to sleep.

5. Is it better to play games on a phone or a console for better sleep?

It is generally recommended to avoid screens altogether before bedtime, but if you do choose to play games, playing on a phone with a blue light filter or a console with a dimmer screen may be better for sleep than a bright computer screen.