Good graduate text in quantum mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for a good graduate text in quantum mechanics. The individual mentions studying from Griffiths during their undergraduate career and not enjoying it. They currently have the text "Quantum Mechanics: Fundamentals" by Gottfried and Yan, which they like but find to be too terse at times. They ask for opinions on Landau's text and other suggestions, with Sakurai also being mentioned. In the end, they recommend Ballentine for those with a strong mathematical background and also mention Gottfried and Yan as a good option. They also mention considering other suggestions besides Ballentine and Sakurai.
christianwos
Hello everybody.
I am looking for a good graduate text in quantum mechanics. I studied from Griffiths during my undergraduate career and I loathed it. I thought it was sloppy and poorly arranged.
Currently I have the one by Gottfried and Yan, "Quantum Mechanics: Fundamentals." I like it. It seems to be a formal treatment of the subject requiring a lot of engagement on the reader's part. However, sometimes it is too terse, in my opinion. I also know that some people love Landau's text. Here is my question: is Landau's a graduate text or an undergraduate text? Or does any of you have any other suggestion? (I know some people use Sakurai)
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you. What about Sakurai?

Sakurai's not bad. But if your background if good enough to follow Ballentine, I would go for the latter.

Thank you for the suggestion. You were right, Ballentine is an excellent textbook, as far as I can tell.

i had the same question although i am an undergraduate student i would like a book more deeper than griffiths which could help me understand QM now and be a useful textbook for a graduate level..

Are there any other suggestions than Ballentine and Sakurai?

dimostheof said:
i had the same question although i am an undergraduate student i would like a book more deeper than griffiths which could help me understand QM now and be a useful textbook for a graduate level..

Are there any other suggestions than Ballentine and Sakurai?

To be honest, now that I started reading Ballentine, I have to admit that it is an excellent textbook. If you have a strong mathematical background I would strongly suggest you take a look at it. Gottfried and Yan is very good, too, in my opinion.

1. What is a good graduate text in quantum mechanics?

A good graduate text in quantum mechanics is a textbook that covers the fundamental concepts and principles of quantum mechanics at an advanced level. It should provide a thorough and rigorous treatment of the subject, with clear explanations, examples, and exercises to help students understand and apply the concepts.

2. What topics should a good graduate text in quantum mechanics cover?

A good graduate text in quantum mechanics should cover topics such as wave-particle duality, the Schrödinger equation, operators and observables, quantum measurement, and the mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics. It should also cover more advanced topics, such as entanglement, quantum information, and quantum computing.

3. What makes a good graduate text in quantum mechanics stand out?

A good graduate text in quantum mechanics should stand out for its clear and concise explanations, its organization and structure, and its coverage of both the foundational concepts and the more advanced topics in the field. It should also include thorough and challenging exercises to help students deepen their understanding of the material.

4. What level of mathematical background is required for a good graduate text in quantum mechanics?

A good graduate text in quantum mechanics typically requires a strong foundation in undergraduate-level mathematics, including linear algebra, calculus, and differential equations. Some texts may also require knowledge of vector calculus, complex analysis, and group theory.

5. How can I choose the best graduate text in quantum mechanics for my needs?

Choosing the best graduate text in quantum mechanics depends on your specific needs and learning style. Consider factors such as the level of mathematical rigor, the depth and breadth of coverage, and the availability of supplementary materials such as lecture notes or online resources. It may also be helpful to read reviews and compare different texts before making a decision.