Good introductory book about Lie Group Theory?

In summary, a good introductory book about Group Theory for physicists is "Lie Algebras in Particle Physics" by H. Georgi. While it is not in English, it is highly recommended and provides a clear and easy understanding of the subject. Another recommended resource is the free book "Gruppenhead" by Wipf, which also explains the connection between Lie theory and physics.
StenEdeback
Summary:: Good introductory book about Group Theory?

Hi,

I am looking for a good introductory book about Group Theory for physicists.

Physics news on Phys.org
I recently came across a very nice book which exactly addressed your requirements, however and unfortunately, it was a) not a book, but a lecture note (167 pages), and b) in German rather than English. It was the first time I saw the subject presented so clear and comparably easy.

Likes StenEdeback
I like the book "Lie Algebras in Particle Physics" H. Georgi
Not sure if it's exactly what you look, but very recommended book.

Likes StenEdeback and JD_PM
fresh_42 said:
I recently came across a very nice book which exactly addressed your requirements, however and unfortunately, it was a) not a book, but a lecture note (167 pages), and b) in German rather than English. It was the first time I saw the subject presented so clear and comparably easy.
Well, I can read German. Are the notes accessible?

StenEdeback said:
Well, I can read German. Are the notes accessible?
I confused two sources. Correction: It is a book and has 282 pages. But it is free for private use:
https://www.tpi.uni-jena.de/~wipf/lectures/gruppen/gruppenhead.pdf
I liked especially the last two chapters where the bridge between Lie theory and physics is explained.

Likes dextercioby and StenEdeback

What is Lie Group Theory?

Lie Group Theory is a branch of mathematics that studies continuous symmetry and transformation groups, particularly in the context of differentiable manifolds.

Why is it important to study Lie Group Theory?

Lie Group Theory has numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other areas of mathematics. It provides a powerful framework for understanding and analyzing symmetries in various systems.

What are some good introductory books about Lie Group Theory?

Some popular introductory books on Lie Group Theory include "Lie Groups, Lie Algebras, and Representations" by Brian C. Hall, "Lie Groups, Physics, and Geometry" by Robert Gilmore, and "Lie Groups, Lie Algebras, and Their Representations" by V.S. Varadarajan.

Do I need a strong background in mathematics to understand Lie Group Theory?

While a strong foundation in linear algebra and calculus is helpful, many introductory books on Lie Group Theory assume minimal mathematical background and provide clear explanations and examples.

Are there any online resources for learning about Lie Group Theory?

Yes, there are several online resources such as lecture notes, video lectures, and interactive tutorials that offer an introduction to Lie Group Theory. Some recommended sources include the MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and the Lie Theory for Beginners website.