Good resources for learning basic surface tension

In summary, the conversation discusses the absence of information on surface tension in introductory physics textbooks and the search for a reliable source to learn about it. It is suggested to check Wikipedia, which provides a comprehensive overview including basic formulas and mathematical concepts similar to those found in Halliday and Young.
phantomvommand
Summary:: Hi, I realized that surface tension is not covered in introductory physics textbooks. Where can I get a good introduction on surface tension?

*info provided should be about the same depth as topics in Halliday, Young.

Hi, I realized that surface tension is not covered in introductory physics textbooks. Where can I get a good introduction on surface tension?

*info provided should be about the same depth as topics in Halliday, Young etc. ie includes basic formulas. the level of math involved should be similar to Halliday as well.

Thanks for your recommendations!

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is surface tension?

Surface tension is the force that causes the molecules on the surface of a liquid to be pulled together, creating a sort of "skin" on the surface of the liquid.

2. Why is surface tension important?

Surface tension plays a crucial role in many natural phenomena, such as the formation of droplets, the movement of insects on water, and the ability of some animals to walk on water. It also has practical applications in industries such as oil and gas, where it is used to separate oil from water.

3. How can I learn the basics of surface tension?

There are many resources available for learning about surface tension, including textbooks, online articles, and educational videos. Some universities also offer courses specifically focused on surface tension.

4. What are some good online resources for learning about surface tension?

There are several reputable websites that offer information and resources on surface tension, such as Khan Academy, ScienceDirect, and Physics Classroom. These sites provide a variety of articles, videos, and interactive simulations to help you understand the basics of surface tension.

5. Are there any hands-on activities or experiments I can do to learn about surface tension?

Yes, there are many simple experiments you can do at home to explore surface tension. Some examples include using a paperclip to float on the surface of water, creating a soap boat that moves due to surface tension, or making a bubble solution and observing the different shapes and patterns that form due to surface tension.