Textbooks for tensors and group theory

In summary: It seems like tensor calculus by Barry Spain would be a good book for studying tensors and group theory for QFT and particle physics. It is specifically geared towards physicists and uses a language that is easier for them to understand. However, it is always good to dig deeper if necessary and supplement with other resources.
doggydan42
Hello,

I am an undergraduate who has taken basic linear algebra and ODE. As for physics, I have taken an online edX quantum mechanics course.

I am looking at studying some of the necessary math and physics needed for QFT and particle physics. It looks like I need tensors and group theory, specifically Lie algebra, both of which I have no prior knowledge.

I was wondering if An Introduction to Tensors and Group Theory for Physicists would be a good textbook.

If not, are there any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks o.k. for physicists. I would prefer this over mathematical books if I were a physicist, and dig deeper if necessary. The basic difficulty here is that mathematicians and physicists use a different language. So unless you really study it, it will be hard to switch. I think it's a good introduction.

(I have only checked the content list.)

doggydan42 said:
Hello,

I am an undergraduate who has taken basic linear algebra and ODE. As for physics, I have taken an online edX quantum mechanics course.

I am looking at studying some of the necessary math and physics needed for QFT and particle physics. It looks like I need tensors and group theory, specifically Lie algebra, both of which I have no prior knowledge.

I was wondering if An Introduction to Tensors and Group Theory for Physicists would be a good textbook.

If not, are there any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance
I think tensor calculus by barry spain is a great book...

1. What are tensors and group theory?

Tensors and group theory are mathematical concepts that are used to describe physical systems and phenomena. Tensors are mathematical objects that represent physical quantities that have direction and magnitude, while group theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the symmetries and transformations of objects.

2. What are some common applications of tensors and group theory?

Tensors and group theory have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to describe the behavior of physical systems, analyze data in machine learning, and model complex systems in engineering.

3. Do I need a strong mathematical background to understand textbooks on tensors and group theory?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in linear algebra and calculus, is necessary to understand textbooks on tensors and group theory. These concepts can be quite abstract and require a solid understanding of mathematical principles.

4. Are there any prerequisites for studying tensors and group theory?

Yes, a basic understanding of linear algebra, calculus, and abstract algebra is necessary before delving into tensors and group theory. It is also helpful to have some knowledge of differential equations and multivariable calculus.

5. Can tensors and group theory be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, tensors and group theory have numerous applications in real-world problems. They are used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena. They are also used in data analysis and machine learning to understand and interpret large datasets.