Good O-Chem and Computer Science texts?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for good textbooks in Organic Chemistry and Computer Science, with specific mentions of Knuth's Art of Computer Programming series and Concrete Mathematics. The speaker also suggests considering textbooks for specific programming languages, such as C or PHP.
zyj
I know this is PhysicsForums and all, but I was wondering whether anyone had any recommendations for good Organic Chemistry textbooks,as well as for CS. I don't really know much about texts for the former subject, and the latter, all I can think of is Knuth's Art of Computer Programming series, which is out of my budget (as a high school student), and I guess Concrete Mathematics to an extent (I'm not quite sure what it's about, though, but I've always thought of it as Discrete Math plus some extra stuff), of which I might be able to get a cheap Indian version.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've heard good things about code complete, although I have never personally read it. You may want to take a look at textbooks for specific subjects, such as programming in c or php (these are just examples- choose whichever language you're interested in).

Related to Good O-Chem and Computer Science texts?

1. What makes a good Organic Chemistry text?

A good Organic Chemistry text should have clear and concise explanations of key concepts, plenty of practice problems with solutions, and a comprehensive index for easy reference. It should also include relevant examples and real-world applications to help with understanding and retention of the material.

2. Is it important to have a strong foundation in general chemistry before studying Organic Chemistry?

Yes, having a strong foundation in general chemistry is crucial for understanding Organic Chemistry. Many concepts in Organic Chemistry build upon and rely on knowledge of general chemistry principles such as bonding, molecular structure, and reactions.

3. What should I look for in a Computer Science text?

A good Computer Science text should have a clear and logical organization of topics, plenty of examples and practice exercises, and a balance between theory and practical applications. It should also cover current and relevant topics in the field and have up-to-date information on programming languages and technologies.

4. Are there any online resources or study aids that can supplement a textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources and study aids available for Organic Chemistry and Computer Science. These include interactive tutorials, practice problems with step-by-step solutions, video lectures, and study guides. It is important to choose reputable and reliable sources for these materials.

5. How can I choose the best textbook for my learning style?

Choosing the best textbook for your learning style can be a personal preference. Some factors to consider include the level of detail and depth of explanation, the format of the book (e.g. physical vs. digital), and the availability of supplementary materials. It may also be helpful to read reviews from other students or consult with a professor for recommendations.