Good Online Database for EE Research information

In summary, the top online databases for EE research information are IEEE Xplore, ScienceDirect, ACM Digital Library, Scopus, and Google Scholar. These databases require a subscription or membership for full access, but some offer limited free access or open access options. They can be accessed from anywhere with an internet connection, but may have restrictions based on subscription or location. Advanced search options and filters are available for searching specific information. Sources from these databases can be cited in research, but it is recommended to double-check citation format with institution guidelines.
Jdo300
Hello All,

To better qualify my question, I'm interested in finding a good online database, similar to SciFinder (which is a great resource for Chemistry researchers and engineers), but specifically aimed at EEs.

With SciFinder, you can search for various topics in chemistry and it will scour various academic research databases for journal articles, books, patents, reports, and other documents that are related to your topic. But it also has a categorized filter to help you pinpoint what you are looking for. It would be great if there were something like this out there for Electrical engineers who are researching various topics, designs, circuits, etc. for electronics design work.

Have any of you heard of anything like this? The only thing I know of is the IEEE journal databases, but I'm not aware of any public resources that allow access to most of the relevant databases I'm interested in (my local university doesn't have access to any of them).

Thanks!
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Jason,

I understand your need for an online database similar to SciFinder specifically aimed at EEs. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any public resources that allow access to various relevant databases. However, you can subscribe to IEEE publications which have a wide range of topics related to EE. You can also search for open access journals and databases related to EE. Additionally, there are some organizations that offer access to subscription-based databases for a fee. I hope this helps. Good luck in your search!

1. What are the top online databases for EE research information?

The most frequently used and reliable online databases for EE research information are IEEE Xplore, ScienceDirect, ACM Digital Library, Scopus, and Google Scholar. These databases provide access to a wide range of research articles, conference papers, and other scholarly works related to electrical engineering.

2. Are these databases free to access?

No, most of these databases require a subscription or membership to access their full range of content. However, some offer limited free access or have open access options for certain publications.

3. Can I access these databases from anywhere?

Yes, these databases are accessible from any location with an internet connection. However, some may have restrictions based on your institution's subscription or your location.

4. How can I search for specific information on these databases?

Most of these databases offer advanced search options, allowing you to refine your search based on keywords, authors, publication date, and other criteria. You can also browse through categories or use filters to narrow down your results.

5. Can I cite sources from these databases in my research?

Yes, you can cite sources from these databases in your research. Most of these databases provide citation information for their publications, which you can use to properly reference your sources. However, it is always recommended to double-check the citation format with your institution's guidelines.