Good programs to make graphs (complex systems) in linux

In summary, the conversation discussed different programs and tools that can be used to build and visualize graphs for studying complex systems. The suggested programs include networkX, graphviz, and matplotlib. It was also mentioned that searching for "network" rather than "graph" may yield more results, as complex systems are often referred to as "complex networks" in literature.
UFSJ
Hi guys,

my questions is simple and direct. I'm new in the study of complex systems and would like to know which programs are suggested to use to build a graphs, some thing as 1500 connected points.

Thanks a lot!

Technology news on Phys.org
UFSJ said:
Hi guys,

my questions is simple and direct. I'm new in the study of complex systems and would like to know which programs are suggested to use to build a graphs, some thing as 1500 connected points.

Thanks a lot!
In python there is networkX, which is what I used before. I don't have anything to compare it to though.
https://networkx.org/

You might get more hits searching network rather than graph, because graph based models of complex dynamical systems are called complex networks rather than graphs in the literature.

Likes pbuk and UFSJ
What do you want to do with the graphs once you have built them? If you just want to visualise them then graphviz is the obvious tool.

Likes FactChecker, jedishrfu and Jarvis323
pbuk said:
What do you want to do with the graphs once you have built them? If you just want to visualise them then graphviz is the obvious tool.
Thanks pbuk. I'm trying this program. Actually look as very good!

1. What are some popular programs for making graphs in Linux?

Some popular programs for making graphs in Linux include Gnuplot, R, matplotlib, and Gephi.

2. Are these programs easy to use for beginners?

Some of these programs may have a steeper learning curve for beginners, but there are many tutorials and resources available online to help with the learning process.

3. Can I create complex systems and networks with these programs?

Yes, all of these programs have the capability to create complex systems and networks. Gephi, in particular, specializes in visualizing and analyzing networks.

4. Are these programs free to use?

Yes, all of these programs are open-source and free to use. However, some may offer paid versions with additional features.

5. Can I export my graphs in different formats?

Yes, most of these programs allow you to export your graphs in various formats such as PDF, PNG, and SVG. Some may also have the option to export in interactive formats like HTML or JavaScript.