Good research areas in pure math

In summary, the area of research in pure mathematics that shabani Makwaru is interested in is functional analysis and linear algebra.
Shabani makwaru
My name is shabani makwaru from Tanzania i am master student in Pure mathematics at University of Dar es salaam Please can help me in advising which area is good in research in pure math

Physics news on Phys.org
Define "good"! This is a personal assessment, so how can we know what you consider good or bad?

yes off course is personal assessment I want to know research areas which are not too difficult to complete dissertation

I have a rather simple, but as far as I know, new idea. However, I don't know what it's worth. It's about Lie algebras. I once hoped to shine some light into the classification of non semisimple Lie algebras but I haven't found a good key. Only many, but none of which opened actually some interesting doors. I still don't know whether I wasn't able to see the interesting stuff or whether there was none.

But you see, this answer depends on how you like Lie algebras, the algebraic part, not the analytical, although I suspect there is one, too. Hence I will have to ask: in which area are you searching for an answer. Pure mathematics is still very broad,

Thanks a lot for your contribution in my country Pure mathematics in graduate studies is new field till now we have less than 30 Phd (supervisors) most of them are functional analysis expert and linear algebra so I need to know much on those two areas

Well, the algebraic part of Lie algebra theory is linear algebra, as they are subalgebras of the general linear algebra. I don't know enough about functional analysis, so I cannot answer this part. To me it is a giant mess of pits, traps and slings: several concepts of convergence, theorems which no longer hold in the infinite dimensional case, the wild mixture of measure theory, topology and analysis; and you have to be cautious with any intuition, since chances are you are wrong.

There does exist a connection between the two fields you mentioned: algebras of differential operators. I guess - but it is a guess - that there are still many open mathematical questions in string theory.

1. What are some current hot topics in pure math research?

Some current hot topics in pure math research include algebraic geometry, number theory, topology, and mathematical physics. These areas have seen significant advancements in recent years and continue to be actively studied by mathematicians around the world.

2. How do researchers decide on a specific research area within pure math?

Researchers often choose a specific research area within pure math based on their interests, background knowledge, and the potential for new discoveries. They may also consider the current state of the field and the availability of resources and funding for their chosen area.

3. Are there any emerging research areas in pure math?

Yes, there are several emerging research areas in pure math, such as computational mathematics, mathematical biology, and mathematical finance. These areas are gaining attention as they have practical applications and potential for interdisciplinary collaborations.

4. How do mathematicians collaborate on research in pure math?

Mathematicians often collaborate on research in pure math by attending conferences, workshops, and seminars where they can share their ideas and findings with other researchers. They may also work together on joint research projects or publish papers together.

5. What are some challenges faced by researchers in pure math?

Some challenges faced by researchers in pure math include obtaining funding for their research, staying up-to-date with advancements in their field, and finding a balance between rigorous proof-based work and more applied research. Additionally, the highly abstract nature of pure math can make it difficult to communicate findings to a broader audience.