Good SAT Scores? My Practice Test Results Revealed

• Thread starter bit188
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sat Test
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of SAT scores and whether a score of 700 on math and 670 on critical reading is considered good. The participants discuss the average scores for college-bound seniors and mention that many students may not have done their best on the SAT. The conversation also touches on the participants' personal experiences with the SAT and their ability to handle long tests or lack thereof. One participant suggests taking the real SAT to be eligible for cool programs, while another struggles to find the percentile chart on the Collegeboard website. The conversation ends with a humorous comment about needing a valid response in two words.
bit188
I decided to take a practice SAT for the heck of it -- I went to the official Collegeboard website. I scored 700 on the math and 670 on critical reading. Are these good scores?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/sat/scores/understanding/average.html

2006 College-Bound Seniors' Average Scores

* Critical reading: 503
* Mathematics: 518
* Writing: 497

So yea, according to that, they're good. Don't forget however that a lot of those kids probably didn't do their best on the SAT. I know I didn't. It was probably the last thing on my mind in high school. I took it once, got in college. The end.

Last edited:
Cool! I'm only thirteen :D

bit188 said:
Cool! I'm only thirteen :D

Keep it up. The last thing you want to do is fall behind.

Damn kid, I am green with envy.

you took the practice sat on the college board website? the one that's like 10 questions? why don't you take the real sat. if you score that high you'll be eligible for a lot cool programs

ice109 said:
you took the practice sat on the college board website? the one that's like 10 questions? why don't you take the real sat. if you score that high you'll be eligible for a lot cool programs

No, it was a full 10-section test. :D

If you were in the official Collegeboard website and you got such great scores... why do I think you should be more than capable of finding out whether they were good or not? =P

end3r7 said:
If you were in the official Collegeboard website and you got such great scores... why do I think you should be more than capable of finding out whether they were good or not? =P

For real. I'm willing to bet the percentile chart was right there too.

No, I actually looked all over the site... I couldn't find them. Sorry D:

I averaged out 2200+ on practice tests but ended with a 2080 on the real thing. It was probably because I was used to sleeping at 2 am and had to part for the exam place at 6 am.

I'm fine with no sleep, I'm sort of an insomniac. My problem when taking long tests is my small bladder. =/

yes indeedy. (It takes two words for a valid response.)

Related to Good SAT Scores? My Practice Test Results Revealed

1. What is considered a good SAT score?

A good SAT score is typically considered to be above 1200. Scores above 1400 are considered to be excellent.

2. How does the SAT scoring system work?

The SAT is scored on a scale of 400-1600, with 200-800 points awarded for each of the two sections (Evidence-Based Reading and Writing, and Math). The raw score for each section is then converted to a scaled score using a statistical equating process.

3. Is it important to get a perfect score on the SAT?

While a perfect score of 1600 is certainly impressive, it is not necessary to achieve this in order to have a good SAT score. Most colleges and universities do not expect or require a perfect score, and other factors such as GPA, extracurricular activities, and essays are also taken into consideration during the admissions process.

4. Can I improve my SAT score?

Yes, it is possible to improve your SAT score through practice and preparation. Many students take SAT prep courses or use study materials to help them familiarize themselves with the test format and content. Additionally, taking practice tests can help identify areas of weakness that can be targeted for improvement.

5. How do colleges and universities use SAT scores in the admissions process?

SAT scores are just one factor among many that colleges and universities use when considering applicants. While a good SAT score can certainly strengthen an application, it is not the only determining factor in admissions decisions. Admissions committees also consider factors such as GPA, extracurricular activities, essays, and letters of recommendation when evaluating applicants.