Good Schools or Colleges to Become a Chemist

In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of pursuing a career in chemistry and the best schools, programs, or colleges to help achieve this goal. It was mentioned that ACS approved programs are generally considered better than unapproved programs, but national rankings may also be helpful in determining respected programs. It was also noted that geographical and financial constraints may play a role in choosing a school. The conversation ended with gratitude for the information provided.
Far Chemicals
This may seem like a dumb question, but I am interested in pursuing a career as a chemist or work in the field of chemistry. What are some of the best schools, programs, or colleges to help me pursue this goal?

Physics news on Phys.org
The ACS approved programs tend to be much better than the unapproved programs.

National rankings are not super accurate, but if you google up a half-dozen different national rankings, you'll get a pretty good idea which programs are respected more than others.

Usually, one is working with geographical or financial constraints. Answering the question about the three best public chemistry schools in TX, GA, SC, etc. is much easier than the wide open question actually posed.

Thanks so much for the info that you gave. I know the question was pretty vague. You answered my unspoken question about ACS versus Non-ACS. And you are right about financial and geographical restraints. Thanks again!

1. What should I look for in a good school or college to become a chemist?

When looking for a good school or college to become a chemist, it is important to consider factors such as accreditation, faculty expertise, research opportunities, and resources available for hands-on learning. Additionally, you may want to look into the school's reputation in the field of chemistry and the career success of its graduates.

2. Are there any specific courses or programs I should focus on in my search for a good chemistry school or college?

Some key courses and programs to look for in a good chemistry school or college include general and organic chemistry, laboratory courses, and specialized courses in your area of interest, such as biochemistry or environmental chemistry. Additionally, programs that offer opportunities for internships, research projects, and co-op experiences can be valuable for gaining practical skills and networking opportunities.

3. How important is the faculty and their expertise in choosing a good chemistry school or college?

The faculty at a chemistry school or college play a crucial role in your education and development as a chemist. Look for schools with reputable and knowledgeable faculty members who are actively engaged in research and have expertise in your area of interest. These professors can serve as mentors and provide valuable guidance and support in your academic and career pursuits.

4. What kind of resources and facilities should I expect from a good chemistry school or college?

A good chemistry school or college should have well-equipped laboratories, access to state-of-the-art research facilities, and a variety of resources such as libraries, computer labs, and tutoring services. These resources can enhance your learning experience and provide opportunities for hands-on experimentation and research.

5. Is it important to consider the location and size of a school or college when choosing a chemistry program?

While the location and size of a school or college may not be the most important factors in choosing a chemistry program, they can still play a role in your overall experience. Consider factors such as the campus culture, the availability of research opportunities, and the cost of living in the area. Additionally, smaller schools may offer more personalized attention and smaller class sizes, while larger schools may have more resources and diverse research opportunities.