Good slides or summaries for Field theory, Lie algebra, etc.

In summary, the speaker is a diploma student in the HEP section and has an upcoming interview for a PhD in theoretical particle physics. They are seeking ways to review and summarize the material they have learned in courses such as Lie algebra, quantum field theory, general relativity, and the standard model. They mention various resources they have used for each subject, including Mark Thomson's handouts and handwritten lecture notes. They also mention that their PhD will focus on theoretical particle physics and that they will have to apply to a different university if they do not pass the interview.
GIM
Hello!
I am a diploma student at HEP section. I am going to have an interview for PhD within a week. I've finished the course and learned a lot about Lie algebra, quantum field theory, general relativity, standard model, etc. How can I review everything as soon as possible? For example, Mark Thomson's handouts "Modern Particle Physics" (http://www.hep.phy.cam.ac.uk/~thomson/lectures/lectures.html) is really helpful for me to summarize Particle Physics & QED. But how about general relativity and Lie algebra, quantum field theory, etc? Are there any good slides or very short summaries for these subjects, like Thomson's handouts or reorganizing style from top to down? Thank you.

P.S. : And my QED & QFT courses mainly and closely followed Peskin & Schroeder from the beginning to the non-abellian theory. And Cahn's "Semisimple Lie algebra and its applications" and H. Georgia's book for Lie Algebra course, Wald's book & Carroll's book for general relativity, and Professors' ownstyle lecture notes for standard model and particle physics. Especially I hope a material to summarize the standard model from top to down.
When I prepared GR exam, I refreshed myself using this handwritten lecture notes in https://inside.mines.edu/~aflourno/GR/418.shtml

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
haushofer said:
A PhD about what?

This is some kind of master course and I applied for PhD course in theoretical particle physics . If I fail in this interview, then I have to apply to the other university.

Last edited:

Related to Good slides or summaries for Field theory, Lie algebra, etc.

1. What is the importance of field theory in physics?

Field theory is a mathematical framework used to describe physical phenomena in terms of fields, which are mathematical objects that represent the distribution of a physical quantity in space and time. It has been instrumental in developing our understanding of fundamental forces and particles in the universe.

2. How does Lie algebra relate to field theory?

Lie algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies the algebraic structure of continuous symmetry, which is essential in field theory. It provides a powerful tool for analyzing the properties of fields and their interactions, and has been used extensively in the development of quantum field theory.

3. What are the key concepts in field theory?

Some of the key concepts in field theory include gauge theory, which describes the behavior of fields under local transformations, and renormalization, which is a technique used to remove infinities from calculations in quantum field theory. Other important concepts include symmetries, perturbation theory, and Feynman diagrams.

4. How are field theory and quantum mechanics related?

Field theory and quantum mechanics are closely related, as they both seek to explain the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scales. Field theory provides a framework for describing the interactions between particles, while quantum mechanics uses mathematical equations to predict the behavior of these particles.

5. What are some applications of field theory?

Field theory has a wide range of applications in physics, including particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology. It has also been used in other fields such as chemistry, biology, and engineering. Some specific examples include the Standard Model of particle physics, the theory of superconductivity, and the study of cosmic inflation.