Zee and Georgi Group Theory books

In summary: It's fun though. You are right, and that's why I preferred using Lancaster and Blundell's QFT for the gifted amateur when I wanted to get a basic idea of what QFT is.But then I started using them together and it was really helpful. So, as a supplementary book, it seems good to me.In summary, the professor is considering using Georgi's Lie Algebras in Particle Physics as the textbook for a course on Group theory, but is unsure if the level of Zee's book matches that of Georgi's. The professor is considering using Zee's book as a supplementary book, but is concerned about its accuracy.
Joker93
Hello.
I will be attending a course on Group theory and the book that the professor suggests is Georgi's Lie Algebras in Particle Physics.
As I liked Zee's book on General Relativity, I thought that it would be a blast to also use his Group theory textbook for the course.
Problem is that I don't know if the level of Zee's book matches that of Georgi's(I wouldn't want to solve exercises from Zee that are at a lower level of that of the examination which will be at the same level as Georgi's book).
Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know Zee's book. Georgi's is pretty good. Since Zee's QFT book I'm very prejudiced against Zee's textbooks since it was only proving the fact that a "nutshell" is too small to seriously cover even the basics of QFT.

vanhees71 said:
I don't know Zee's book. Georgi's is pretty good. Since Zee's QFT book I'm very prejudiced against Zee's textbooks since it was only proving the fact that a "nutshell" is too small to seriously cover even the basics of QFT.
I think his GR book is much better. That said, Zee stated that his QFT book's purpose is to just provide a gentle introduction to just entice its readers.
In any way, thanks for your input.

But it's not a gentle introduction! It's trying to provide too much in too little space and thus doesn't explain the many subtle points exactly for beginners. It's an amusing read for someone who already knows the subject, but to understand QFT as a beginner you need a bit more accuracy.

vanhees71 said:
But it's not a gentle introduction! It's trying to provide too much in too little space and thus doesn't explain the many subtle points exactly for beginners. It's an amusing read for someone who already knows the subject, but to understand QFT as a beginner you need a bit more accuracy.
It's fun though. You are right, and that's why I preferred using Lancaster and Blundell's QFT for the gifted amateur when I wanted to get a basic idea of what QFT is.
But then I started using them together and it was really helpful. So, as a supplementary book, it seems good to me.

Likes Demystifier and vanhees71

1. What is the purpose of "Zee and Georgi Group Theory books"?

The purpose of these books is to provide a comprehensive introduction to group theory, a mathematical concept that is widely used in physics and other scientific fields.

2. Who are the authors of "Zee and Georgi Group Theory books"?

The authors of these books are two renowned physicists, Xiang-Song Zee and Howard Georgi. They have extensive experience in teaching and researching group theory in relation to physics.

3. What are the main topics covered in "Zee and Georgi Group Theory books"?

The books cover a wide range of topics in group theory, including group structures, representations, Lie groups, and applications in quantum mechanics and particle physics.

4. Are "Zee and Georgi Group Theory books" suitable for beginners in group theory?

Yes, these books are designed to be accessible to readers with little to no prior knowledge of group theory. The authors provide clear explanations and examples to help beginners understand the concepts.

5. Are there any accompanying resources for "Zee and Georgi Group Theory books"?

Yes, the authors have also developed a website that includes additional materials such as lecture notes, problem sets, and solutions to exercises. This can be a useful supplement for readers who want to further their understanding of group theory.