Gorging on your Halloween candy is better for your teeth

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teeth
In summary, a recent article suggests that in order to maintain good oral health during the Halloween season, it is best to allow children to indulge in a sugar-coma instead of constantly consuming small amounts of candy throughout the day. This approach may also be applicable for adults.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Just in time for all those Halloween candies that you'll be eating, here's a tip on what's best for your teeth.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20081028/sc_livescience/halloweencandytrickgorgedontnibble

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
And what's better anyways: Allowing my stepson to collapse in a sugar-coma stupor on the floor before he is carried to his room for bedtime, or allowing small amounts of sugar to sustain unbearable hyperactivity throughout the whole day (until we ban him to his room for bedtime and still hear him jumping on his bed throwing his beloved "kiwi-bird" stuffed toy so high it knocks on the ceiling)? :rofl:

A hyperactive kid in a coma stupor is not good? :)

That's usually TOPS in my book! But then again, that's why I'm not meant to have any kids...

Zz.

For every piece of candy they eat, give them a tea-spoon of Nyquil.

I'm counting on that working just as well for adults:blushing:

physics girl phd said:
And what's better anyways: Allowing my stepson to collapse in a sugar-coma stupor on the floor before he is carried to his room for bedtime, or allowing small amounts of sugar to sustain unbearable hyperactivity throughout the whole day (until we ban him to his room for bedtime and still hear him jumping on his bed throwing his beloved "kiwi-bird" stuffed toy so high it knocks on the ceiling)? :rofl:

:rofl: Yep, seems there's many reasons to just let them gorge themselves on candy. I have my "Body Parts" candy for my two anatomy classes tomorrow (I don't teach on Friday). :biggrin: It actually looks like the most awful kind of candy, but it was too funny and appropriate to pass up when I saw it. :biggrin:

What is the science behind gorging on Halloween candy being better for your teeth?

Contrary to popular belief, eating a larger amount of candy in one sitting can actually be better for your teeth. When we eat, our mouth produces saliva which helps to neutralize the acids and bacteria that can harm our teeth. Eating a larger amount of candy at once means more saliva production and a shorter exposure time for the acids.

Does this mean I can eat as much candy as I want without damaging my teeth?

No, moderation is still key. While gorging on candy may be better for your teeth in the short term, consuming excessive amounts of sugar can still lead to tooth decay and other dental issues. It is important to still practice good oral hygiene and limit your overall sugar intake.

What types of candy are better for my teeth?

Some types of candy are less harmful to your teeth than others. Sticky and chewy candies, like gummies and caramels, tend to stick to your teeth and can be more difficult for saliva to wash away. Hard candies, on the other hand, dissolve quickly and are less likely to cause damage. Dark chocolate is also a better option as it contains less sugar and has been shown to have potential benefits for oral health.

Should I brush my teeth immediately after eating Halloween candy?

It is not recommended to brush your teeth immediately after consuming candy. The acids from the candy can weaken your tooth enamel, and brushing too soon can cause further damage. It is best to wait at least 30 minutes before brushing to give your saliva time to neutralize the acid.

Are there any other ways to protect my teeth while enjoying Halloween candy?

Aside from limiting your overall sugar intake and waiting to brush your teeth, there are a few other ways to protect your teeth during Halloween. Drinking water while eating candy can help to wash away any residue and sugar. Chewing sugar-free gum can also stimulate saliva production. And of course, regular dental check-ups and cleanings are essential for maintaining good oral health.