GR Text: Zee's Formulas & Where I'm Going Wrong

In summary, Zee's equation states that the logarithm of the determinant of a matrix is equal to the trace of the logarithm of the matrix. This is then applied to the metric tensor, where g represents the determinant of the metric tensor. However, it seems that Zee may have lost a trace in the final term, which is causing confusion.
dm4b
It seems like Zee lost a trace in his new GR text, but I am sure it is me confusing things.

First, he establishes:

[itex]
log\: det\: M = tr\: log\: M[/itex]

Then, differentiating:

[itex]
(det\: M)^{-1} \: \partial (det\: M)=\partial (tr\: log\: M)=tr(\partial\: log\: M)=tr(M^{-1}\partial M)[/itex]

Then he applies to the metric, giving:

[itex]
\frac{1}{\sqrt{-g}}\partial _{\nu }\sqrt{-g}=\frac{1}{2g}\partial _{\nu }g=\frac{1}{2}\partial _{\nu }log\: g[/itex]

where g is the determinant of the metric.

Sure seems like he lost a trace on the very last term. Where I am going wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
In Zee's equation, ##g## means the determinant of the metric tensor. In more explicit notation, the steps are

##\frac{1}{\sqrt{-\det g}} \partial_\nu \sqrt{-\det g} = \frac{1}{2 \det g} \partial_\nu (\det g) = \frac{1}{2} \partial_\nu ({\rm tr} \log g) = \frac{1}{2} \partial_\nu (\log \det g)##

In what I've written here, ##g## is always a matrix and the determinant is kept explicit.

Related to GR Text: Zee's Formulas & Where I'm Going Wrong

1. What is the purpose of Zee's Formulas?

Zee's Formulas are a set of equations used in general relativity to calculate the curvature of spacetime due to the presence of matter and energy.

2. How accurate are Zee's Formulas?

Zee's Formulas are considered to be highly accurate and have been used in numerous studies and experiments in the field of general relativity. However, like all scientific equations, they are not infallible and may need to be revised as our understanding of the universe evolves.

3. Can Zee's Formulas be applied to all situations?

Zee's Formulas are specifically designed for use in general relativity, so they are applicable to situations involving gravity and the curvature of spacetime. They may not be relevant or accurate in other areas of physics.

4. What are some common mistakes when using Zee's Formulas?

One common mistake is using the wrong units or not converting units correctly. Another mistake is not taking into account the effects of things like rotation and acceleration on spacetime curvature.

5. How can I learn more about Zee's Formulas?

There are many resources available for learning about Zee's Formulas, including textbooks, online lectures, and scientific papers. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of general relativity and differential geometry before attempting to use these formulas.