The contracting relations on the Christoffel symbols

In summary: This we can answer pretty easily with what we've derived above so far. First take an arbitrary vector field ##V^{\mu}## and calculate the "divergence". We have$$\nabla_{\nu} V^{\mu} = \partial_{\nu} V^{\mu} +{\Gamma^{\mu}}_{\nu \rho} V^{\rho}.$$From that we find taking the trace$$\nabla_{\mu} V^{\mu} = \partial_{\mu} V^{\mu} + {\Gamma^{\mu}}_{\mu \rho} V^{\rho}.$$Now we use our formula for the contraction of the Christ
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
Homework Statement
The contracting relations on the Christoffel symbols
Relevant Equations
Tensor Equations
I am trying to find $$\Gamma^{\nu}_{\mu \nu} = \partial_{\mu} log(\sqrt{g})$$ but I cannot.

by calculations, I manage to find

$$\Gamma^{\nu}_{\mu \nu} = \frac{1}{2}g^{\nu \delta}\partial_{\mu}g_{\nu \delta}$$

and from research I have find that $$det(A) = e^{Tr(log(A))}$$ but still I cannot make the connection. Any ideas?

where ##g = det(g_{\alpha \beta})##

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all you must always have ##\sqrt{-g}##, because ##g<0## due to the signature of the Lorentzian manifold.

Further think about, how (the matrix) ##g^{\mu \nu}## is related to (the matrix) ##g_{\mu \nu}## and what this has to do with determinants!

Likes Arman777
vanhees71 said:
First of all you must always have ##\sqrt{-g}##, because ##g<0## due to the signature of the Lorentzian manifold.

Further think about, how (the matrix) ##g^{\mu \nu}## is related to (the matrix) ##g_{\mu \nu}## and what this has to do with determinants!
I ll try and get back to you

vanhees71 said:

I can see that ##det(g^{\mu \nu })= 1/g##

Likes vanhees71
Then further note that
$$\mathrm{det} (g_{\mu \nu})=g=\frac{1}{4!} \Delta^{\mu_1\ldots \mu_4} \Delta ^{\nu_1 \ldots \nu_4} g_{\mu_1 \nu_1} \cdots g_{\mu_4 \nu_4}.$$
Here and in the following I use the notation
$$\Delta^{\mu_1 \ldots \mu_4}=\Delta_{\mu_1 \ldots \mu_r}$$
for the Levi-Civita symbols (which are NOT tensor components), i.e., the totally antisymmetric symbols with ##\Delta^{0123}=\Delta_{0123}=+1##.

Now take the derivative ##\partial_{\mu}## which gives
$$\partial_{\mu} g = \frac{1}{3!} (\partial_{\mu} g_{\mu_1 \nu_1}) \Delta^{\mu_1\ldots \mu_4} \Delta ^{\nu_1 \ldots \nu_4} g_{\mu_2 \nu_2} \cdots g_{\mu_4 \nu_4}=:\tilde{g}^{\mu_1 \nu_1} \partial_{\mu} g_{\mu_1 \nu_1}.$$
But now let's think about
$$\tilde{g}^{\mu_1 \nu_1} = \frac{1}{3!} \Delta^{\mu_1\ldots \mu_4} \Delta ^{\nu_2 \ldots \nu_4} g_{\mu_2 \nu_1} \cdots g_{\mu_4 \nu_4}$$
is. To that end we evaluate
$$g_{\alpha \mu_1} \tilde{g}^{\mu_1 \nu_1}= \frac{1}{3!} \Delta^{\mu_1\ldots \mu_4} \Delta ^{\nu_1 \ldots \nu_4} g_{\mu_1 \nu_1} \cdots g_{\mu_4 \nu_4} g_{\mu_1 \alpha}.$$
In the last step I used the symmetry of the metric, ##g_{\mu_1 \alpha}=g_{\alpha \mu_1}##. Now do the contraction wrt. the ##\mu_k##, which leads to
$$g_{\alpha \mu_1} \tilde{g}^{\mu_1 \nu_1}=g \frac{1}{3!} \Delta_{\alpha \nu_2\cdots \nu_1} \Delta ^{\nu_1 \ldots \nu_4} = g \delta^{\nu_1}_{\alpha}.$$
From this you have
$$\tilde{g}^{\mu_1 \nu_1}=g g^{\mu_1 \nu_1}.$$
So you get
$$\partial_{\mu} g=g g^{\mu_1 \nu_1} \partial_{\mu} g_{\mu_1 \nu_1}.$$
So finally
$$\partial_{\mu} \ln (\sqrt{-g})=\frac{1}{2} \partial_\mu \ln(-g)=\frac{1}{2g} \partial_{\mu} g=\frac{1}{2} g^{\alpha \beta} \partial_{\mu} g_{\alpha \beta},$$
which is what you wanted to prove.

Likes Arman777, etotheipi and JD_PM
vanhees71 said:
Then further note that
$$\mathrm{det} (g_{\mu \nu})=g=\frac{1}{4!} \Delta^{\mu_1\ldots \mu_4} \Delta ^{\nu_1 \ldots \nu_4} g_{\mu_1 \nu_1} \cdots g_{\mu_4 \nu_4}.$$
Here and in the following I use the notation
$$\Delta^{\mu_1 \ldots \mu_4}=\Delta_{\mu_1 \ldots \mu_r}$$
for the Levi-Civita symbols (which are NOT tensor components), i.e., the totally antisymmetric symbols with ##\Delta^{0123}=\Delta_{0123}=+1##.

Now take the derivative ##\partial_{\mu}## which gives
$$\partial_{\mu} g = \frac{1}{3!} (\partial_{\mu} g_{\mu_1 \nu_1}) \Delta^{\mu_1\ldots \mu_4} \Delta ^{\nu_1 \ldots \nu_4} g_{\mu_2 \nu_2} \cdots g_{\mu_4 \nu_4}=:\tilde{g}^{\mu_1 \nu_1} \partial_{\mu} g_{\mu_1 \nu_1}.$$
But now let's think about
$$\tilde{g}^{\mu_1 \nu_1} = \frac{1}{3!} \Delta^{\mu_1\ldots \mu_4} \Delta ^{\nu_2 \ldots \nu_4} g_{\mu_2 \nu_1} \cdots g_{\mu_4 \nu_4}$$
is. To that end we evaluate
$$g_{\alpha \mu_1} \tilde{g}^{\mu_1 \nu_1}= \frac{1}{3!} \Delta^{\mu_1\ldots \mu_4} \Delta ^{\nu_1 \ldots \nu_4} g_{\mu_1 \nu_1} \cdots g_{\mu_4 \nu_4} g_{\mu_1 \alpha}.$$
In the last step I used the symmetry of the metric, ##g_{\mu_1 \alpha}=g_{\alpha \mu_1}##. Now do the contraction wrt. the ##\mu_k##, which leads to
$$g_{\alpha \mu_1} \tilde{g}^{\mu_1 \nu_1}=g \frac{1}{3!} \Delta_{\alpha \nu_2\cdots \nu_1} \Delta ^{\nu_1 \ldots \nu_4} = g \delta^{\nu_1}_{\alpha}.$$
From this you have
$$\tilde{g}^{\mu_1 \nu_1}=g g^{\mu_1 \nu_1}.$$
So you get
$$\partial_{\mu} g=g g^{\mu_1 \nu_1} \partial_{\mu} g_{\mu_1 \nu_1}.$$
So finally
$$\partial_{\mu} \ln (\sqrt{-g})=\frac{1}{2} \partial_\mu \ln(-g)=\frac{1}{2g} \partial_{\mu} g=\frac{1}{2} g^{\alpha \beta} \partial_{\mu} g_{\alpha \beta},$$
which is what you wanted to prove.
Just one question why ##\partial_{\mu} g \neq 0## ? or can we say that ##\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\mu} g = 0##

Why should ##\partial_{\mu} g=0##? Of course if you are in SR you can always choose a global Minkowski-orthonormal basis. Then ##g_{\mu \nu}=\eta_{\mu \nu}=\mathrm{diag}(1,-1,-1,-1)=\text{const}## and ##\partial_{\rho} g_{\mu \nu}=0## and thus also ##\partial_{\mu} g=0##. In this case of course the covariant derivative coincides with the partial derivative, because all Christoffel symbols vanish too.

vanhees71 said:
In this case of course the covariant derivative coincides with the partial derivative, because all Christoffel symbols vanish too.
So its true that ##\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\mu}g = 0##

How do you come to this conclusion?

vanhees71 said:
How do you come to this conclusion?
I did not actually :p Well I was doing another mathematical calculation about the ##\nabla_{\mu}\nabla^{\mu} \Phi## ,where ##\Phi## is a scalar function. In order to obtain the desired result it seems that ##\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\mu}g## must be 0 ? If you want I can share a separate question about it as well.

This we can answer pretty easily with what we've derived above so far. First take an arbitrary vector field ##V^{\mu}## and calculate the "divergence". We have
$$\nabla_{\nu} V^{\mu} = \partial_{\nu} V^{\mu} +{\Gamma^{\mu}}_{\nu \rho} V^{\rho}.$$
From that we find taking the trace
$$\nabla_{\mu} V^{\mu} = \partial_{\mu} V^{\mu} + {\Gamma^{\mu}}_{\mu \rho} V^{\rho}.$$
Now we use our formula for the contraction of the Christoffel symbol
$$\nabla_{\mu} V^{\mu} =\partial_{\mu} V^{\mu} + (\partial_{\rho} \ln (\sqrt{-g})] V^{\rho} = \partial_{\rho} V^{\rho} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{-g}} V^{\rho} \partial_{\rho} \sqrt{-g} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{-g}} \partial_{\rho} (\sqrt{-g} V^{\rho}).$$
Further we have
$$V_{\mu}=\partial_{\mu} \Phi \; \Rightarrow \; V^{\rho}=g^{\rho \mu} \partial_{\mu} \Phi.$$
From this we get,
$$\nabla_{\rho} \nabla^{\rho} \Phi=\frac{1}{\sqrt{-g}} \partial_{\rho} (\sqrt{-g} g^{\rho \mu} \partial_{\mu} \Phi).$$
So you get the so-called Laplace-Beltrami operator.

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi and Arman777
In my calculations I did something like this
1618137971515.png

but it seems wrong ... But I see your point.

I don't understand, how you get from the 2nd to the 3rd expression. Of course ##\nabla_{\nu} \Phi=\partial_{\nu}\ Phi##, and then you get the correct expression, the Laplace-Beltrami operator.

vanhees71 said:
2nd to the 3rd expression.
how so ?
By using this I am getting

$$\nabla_{\mu}(g^{\mu \nu}\nabla_{\nu}\Phi) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{g}}\partial_{\mu}[g^{\mu \nu}\partial_{\nu}(\sqrt{g}\Phi)]$$

but you are writing

$$\nabla_{\mu}(g^{\mu \nu}\nabla_{\nu}\Phi) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{g}}\partial_{\mu}[g^{\mu \nu}\sqrt{g}\partial_{\nu}(\Phi)]$$

there is a ##\sqrt(g)## difference. In my its inside the partial and in yours its outside..

As I said, I don't understand your step. Can you prove it?

vanhees71 said:
As I said, I don't understand your step. Can you prove it?
I have just put the definiton of the ##\nabla_{\nu}\Phi = \frac{1}{\sqrt{g}} \partial_{\nu}(\sqrt{g}\Phi)## inside the paranthesis ?

Arman777 said:
I have just put the definiton of the ##\nabla_{\nu}\Phi = \frac{1}{\sqrt{g}} \partial_{\nu}(\sqrt{g}\Phi)## inside the paranthesis ?
No! The definition of ##\nabla_{\mu} \phi=\partial_{\mu} \Phi##. ##\Phi## is a scalar field!

Likes Arman777
oh shi*t. I understand it now okay. I was also saying there's something wrong but could not figure out why. Okay some things make more sense now after your approach in #11. Thanks a lot

Likes vanhees71

What are the Christoffel symbols?

The Christoffel symbols are a set of mathematical symbols used in differential geometry to describe the curvature and connections of a manifold. They were first introduced by the German mathematician Elwin Bruno Christoffel in the 19th century.

How are the Christoffel symbols related to contracting relations?

The contracting relations on the Christoffel symbols refer to a set of equations that describe the relationship between the Christoffel symbols and the metric tensor. These equations are used to simplify calculations involving the Christoffel symbols.

What is the significance of the Christoffel symbols in physics?

The Christoffel symbols play a crucial role in the theory of general relativity, as they are used to describe the curvature of spacetime. They also have applications in other areas of physics, such as fluid dynamics and quantum field theory.

How are the Christoffel symbols calculated?

The Christoffel symbols can be calculated using the metric tensor and its derivatives. The specific formula for calculating the Christoffel symbols depends on the dimensionality of the manifold and the chosen coordinate system.

What are some common misconceptions about the Christoffel symbols?

One common misconception is that the Christoffel symbols represent actual physical quantities, when in fact they are mathematical objects used to describe the properties of a manifold. Another misconception is that the Christoffel symbols are always symmetric, when in reality they can have both symmetric and antisymmetric components.