GR vs SR: Is a Connection Necessary?

In summary, the connection between GR and SR is empirical and curvature-based theories of gravity are possible where the metric is locally Euclidean.
greypilgrim
Hi,

When I started learning about GR I wondered if it emerged from SR (which the name suggests) or if the connection between the two is mere technical. GR describes the behaviour of the metric of space-time, which is locally Minkowskian and therefore SR applies.

But is a curvature-based theory of gravity possible where the metric is locally Euclidean, i.e. the speed of light is not constant and space and time are essentially uncoupled?

Or is there a closer relation between GR and SR that I am missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
greypilgrim said:
When I started learning about GR I wondered if it emerged from SR (which the name suggests) or if the connection between the two is mere technical.

We need to locally arrive at a situation where the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames, because that is what we empirically observe. This is not really possible if you uncouple space from time, and consider only a Euclidean metric; as such, the connection is more than merely technical, it is empirical.

Markus Hanke said:
We need to locally arrive at a situation where the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames, because that is what we empirically observe. This is not really possible if you uncouple space from time, and consider only a Euclidean metric; as such, the connection is more than merely technical, it is empirical.

True, but I was thinking about putting electrodynamics aside for the moment and just considering gravity. It's more of a hypothetical question.

greypilgrim said:
But is a curvature-based theory of gravity possible where the metric is locally Euclidean, i.e. the speed of light is not constant and space and time are essentially uncoupled?
As @Shyan mentioned this is Newton Cartan theory.

I don't have a rigorous proof of this, but my impression is that any theory in which the inertial mass equals the gravitational mass can be geometrized.

1. What is the difference between General Relativity (GR) and Special Relativity (SR)?

The main difference between General Relativity and Special Relativity is that General Relativity deals with gravity and its effects on the universe, while Special Relativity focuses on the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity. General Relativity provides a more comprehensive and accurate understanding of how gravity works, while Special Relativity is limited to objects moving at constant speeds.

2. Why do we need a connection between General Relativity and Special Relativity?

A connection between General Relativity and Special Relativity is necessary because they both provide different but complementary explanations of the universe. While Special Relativity explains the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, General Relativity explains the behavior of objects in the presence of gravity. A connection between the two theories allows for a more complete understanding of the universe.

3. How are General Relativity and Special Relativity connected?

General Relativity and Special Relativity are connected through the concept of spacetime. General Relativity describes gravity as the curvature of spacetime, while Special Relativity describes the relationship between space and time as relative and dependent on the observer's frame of reference. This connection allows for a unified understanding of the universe.

4. What evidence supports the connection between General Relativity and Special Relativity?

There is a significant amount of evidence that supports the connection between General Relativity and Special Relativity. For example, the predictions of General Relativity, such as the bending of light in the presence of massive objects and the existence of black holes, have been confirmed through observations and experiments. Additionally, the GPS system relies on the principles of both theories to accurately function.

5. Can General Relativity and Special Relativity be unified into one theory?

Currently, there is no unified theory that combines General Relativity and Special Relativity. However, many scientists are working towards this goal, and there are various proposed theories that attempt to merge the two theories. Some of these theories include string theory, loop quantum gravity, and M-theory. However, more research and evidence are needed to fully unify General Relativity and Special Relativity into one theory.