Grad school/career change after 5 years of working. Sanity check.

In summary: Yeah there is certainly risks involved. BTW I'm not considering graduate school in physics right now, even though I love it and planned to be a physicist before undergrad. For reasons I won't go into, I went into Comp Eng and am working as a software engineer instead for various reasons (this has caused me some grief, though I still teach myself higher physics). What I'm considering is nanotech/micro electromechanical systems, which falls under ECE. Whether I can get in though is another topic. One thing at a time.
dighn
[Delete] Grad school/career change after 5 years of working. Sanity check.

Edit: I guess I was just trying to convince myself, and I think I'm convinced.

Will probably post specific questions later.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
:smile: Nice...so just by writing the question, you got your answer. Glad PF helped, in some capacity :smile:.

lisab said:
:smile: Nice...so just by writing the question, you got your answer. Glad PF helped, in some capacity :smile:.

Yeah thanks PF :)

Seriously though, reading some of the other posts put me into perspective. What I'm thinking of doing isn't that risky. Still young, no family responsibilities etc.

dighn said:
Yeah thanks PF :)

Seriously though, reading some of the other posts put me into perspective. What I'm thinking of doing isn't that risky. Still young, no family responsibilities etc.

Heh, I'm not sure about that. Grad school sure seems risky to me. Investing six years of your life just so that you can compete with 2,000 other physicists for 300 tenure-track jobs seems like quite a risk (scary part: I did not pull those numbers out of my ***, they're real statistics from AIP). But hey, if you want to make a trade, I'll give you my spot in grad school for your job. :smile:

arunma said:
Heh, I'm not sure about that. Grad school sure seems risky to me. Investing six years of your life just so that you can compete with 2,000 other physicists for 300 tenure-track jobs seems like quite a risk (scary part: I did not pull those numbers out of my ***, they're real statistics from AIP). But hey, if you want to make a trade, I'll give you my spot in grad school for your job. :smile:

Yeah there is certainly risks involved. BTW I'm not considering graduate school in physics right now, even though I love it and planned to be a physicist before undergrad. For reasons I won't go into, I went into Comp Eng and am working as a software engineer instead for various reasons (this has caused me some grief, though I still teach myself higher physics). What I'm considering is nanotech/micro electromechanical systems, which falls under ECE. Whether I can get in though is another topic. One thing at a time.

Last edited:

Related to Grad school/career change after 5 years of working. Sanity check.

1. Can I still go to grad school or make a career change after 5 years of working?

Yes, it is absolutely possible to go to grad school or make a career change after 5 years of working. Many people choose to do so in order to further their education or pursue a new career path.

2. Will my work experience be valued in grad school or a new career?

Yes, your work experience can be highly valued in both grad school and a new career. It can demonstrate your skills, dedication, and real-world experience in your chosen field.

3. Will I have to start from the beginning in my new field or program?

It depends on the field or program you are interested in. Some may require you to start from the beginning, while others may allow you to transfer some credits or use your work experience as a substitute.

4. Is it worth it to go back to school or make a career change after 5 years of working?

This is a personal decision and depends on your individual goals and circumstances. However, many people find it beneficial to further their education or pursue a new career path after gaining some work experience.

5. How can I balance work and school/career change?

Balancing work and school or a career change can be challenging, but it is possible. It may require good time management skills, setting priorities, and possibly adjusting your work schedule or workload. Seeking support from friends, family, or colleagues can also be helpful.