Grad school reccomendations

In summary, most professors require a student to waive their right to see the rec before they write it, and many students don't know what to ask for in a rec.
SiddharthM
I wanted to post this question because I know a lot of the posters here are professors themselves. So I'm applying to math phd programs and I've been asking profs to write me rec's.

My question is why professors insist that I waive my right to see the recommendations. I asked them if they would write me good rec's and they said they would, and assuming i do not waive my right i can only see the letter if i get into a particular institution. I'm not worried about the actual waiving of this right, i did it without being asked, what I'm worried about is why some prof's want confirmation that I waived this right - is it because they aren't writing good rec's? I'm probably being paranoid but I'd like to have a professor's perspective.

Please advise.

Physics news on Phys.org
SiddharthM said:
what I'm worried about is why some prof's want confirmation that I waived this right - is it because they aren't writing good rec's?
I'm not a professor, but I know of a few reasons that have nothing to do with bad recs. Most of the profs I know will tell a student "no" or "I'm going to give you a terrible rec" before writing one.

a) Most schools require it. Seriously, professors have to seal and sign on the envelope and everything.
b) The reason it's so important to waive the right to see it is because it also means you haven't touched it after the professor wrote it, which means the rec is the professors actual words.
c) If you can't see it, it's a bit harder to bribe the professor to write you a good rec. Professors don't want to risk their reputation on something like a rec.

Only a very few psychopath professors actually write bad recommendations. Most will simply turn down a request if they cannot muster any enthusiasm for a student.

But I imagine that it is a common situation where the professor's enthusiasm isn't as high as the student's. I suspect much of the purpose of the waiver is to spare professors from having to explain to irate students why getting an A in a course isn't quite the same as parting the Red Sea.

TMFKAN64 said:
But I imagine that it is a common situation where the professor's enthusiasm isn't as high as the student's. I suspect much of the purpose of the waiver is to spare professors from having to explain to irate students why getting an A in a course isn't quite the same as parting the Red Sea.

And even when the prof's enthusiasm is as high, most students don't quite know what's supposed to go into a rec, so they can get irate about the strangest things. I have to write session reports for my job and I've long since learned that writing anything down in the students line of sight can freak some students out.

Related to Grad school reccomendations

What is a grad school recommendation?

A grad school recommendation is a letter or statement written by a professor, mentor, or employer that speaks to your academic abilities, personal qualities, and potential for success in graduate school. It is often required as part of the application process for graduate programs.

Who should I ask for a grad school recommendation?

You should ask individuals who know you well and can speak to your strengths and qualifications for graduate school. This could include professors, research advisors, supervisors from internships or jobs, or other mentors. It is important to choose people who can provide specific examples and insights about your abilities and potential.

How many grad school recommendations do I need?

The number of grad school recommendations required varies by program, but most typically require 2-3 letters. It is important to check the specific requirements for each program you are applying to.

When should I ask for grad school recommendations?

You should ask for grad school recommendations at least 3-4 weeks before the application deadline. This allows your recommenders enough time to write a thoughtful and thorough letter. It is also considerate to give them a reminder closer to the deadline in case they need to submit the letter electronically.

What information should I provide to my recommenders?

It is helpful to provide your recommenders with your resume, personal statement, and any other relevant information about your academic and professional experiences. This will help them write a more personalized and comprehensive letter. You should also let them know the deadline and any specific requirements for the letter, such as format or submission method.