How Do You Solve Inverse Functions in Algebra Problems?

In summary, the conversation is about a homework question involving the function g(t)=3t-2 and its inverse. The question asks for the values of g -1 (-2) and g -1(a+1) - g -1(a). The person attempted to solve for g -1 (-2) by finding the inverse of g(t) and plugging in the value -2 for t, resulting in a solution of -4/3. They then discussed their attempt at solving for g -1(a+1) - g -1(a) by increasing x by a certain amount to make g(x) increase by 1, but were unsure of the correct approach.
kramer733
Having trouble with this question. Usually i'd have to see examples first and rep it out but time ran out of class and i guess we couldn't see them. He gaves us tons of notes though but I'm not really sure if I'm doing it right.

Homework Statement

for g(t) = 3t-2, determine each of the following.

(the -1 is an inverse..)
a. g -1 (-2)
b. g -1(a+1) - g -1(a)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what i did with the g -1(-2)

g(t)=3t-2
t=3g(t)-2
(t-2)/3=g(t)
(-2-2)/3 = -4/3

I have no idea how to do the next one though. Well yea i do but it's probably completely wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the next one, you're taking the difference of two values such that, when you apply g to them, one gives you a value 1 larger than the other. How much does x have to increase by for g(x) to increase by 1?

As a scientist, it is important to understand the concepts and principles behind mathematical equations rather than just memorizing steps and formulas. It is great that you have notes from your class, but it is important to also practice solving problems and understanding the steps involved. It is understandable that you may have run out of time in class, but I would suggest seeking help from your teacher or a tutor to go over the examples and practice solving problems.

For the first part of the question, g -1 (-2), you are on the right track. The inverse of a function is essentially switching the x and y values, so instead of g(t), you will have g -1 (t). You correctly rearranged the equation to solve for t, but you should use g -1 (t) instead of g(t) when substituting -2 for t. This will give you the value of g -1 (-2).

For the second part of the question, g -1 (a+1) - g -1 (a), you can use the same concept of switching the x and y values. First, find g -1 (a+1) by substituting a+1 for t in the inverse equation. Then, find g -1 (a) by substituting a for t in the inverse equation. Finally, subtract g -1 (a) from g -1 (a+1) to get your final answer.

Remember to always check your work and make sure your answer makes sense in the context of the problem. Don't be afraid to ask for help or clarification when needed. Keep practicing and you will become more confident in solving algebra problems.

Related to How Do You Solve Inverse Functions in Algebra Problems?

1. What is the purpose of learning algebra in grade 11?

The purpose of learning algebra in grade 11 is to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It is also an essential foundation for higher-level math courses and many other fields of study, such as science, engineering, and economics.

2. How is algebra used in real-life situations?

Algebra is used in a wide range of real-life situations, such as calculating interest rates, budgeting, and analyzing data. It is also used in fields like architecture, computer science, and medicine.

3. What are some common topics covered in grade 11 algebra?

Some common topics covered in grade 11 algebra include linear equations and inequalities, systems of equations, polynomials, factoring, and quadratic equations. Students may also learn about functions, logarithms, and exponential growth.

4. Why is it important to show your work in algebra?

Showing your work in algebra is important because it helps you to understand the steps and thought process behind solving a problem. It also allows others to follow your reasoning and identify any mistakes. Additionally, showing your work is necessary for getting full credit on exams and assignments.

5. How can I improve my algebra skills?

To improve your algebra skills, practice, practice, practice! The more you work on problems and equations, the more comfortable you will become with using algebraic concepts. You can also seek help from your teacher, tutor, or online resources for additional support and practice problems.