Grade 11 Physics Final Project. Help (Kinematics)

In summary, the conversation discusses a grade 11 physics final project focused on kinematics. The project involves creating a relevant experiment with simple calculations and few variables. The student has chosen to use golf balls of different weights on slopes of varying heights and calculate the displacement of objects struck by the balls. They also mention considering the Brachistochrone curve to make the project more interesting. The student is seeking advice on what calculations to perform and if their experiment is valid.
redtop2
Grade 11 Physics Final Project. Help! (Kinematics)

first of all, I am new to the forum. and i was wondering if i should post this on homework forum or general physics. then i decided to post it here.

so i have been working on a final project for my grade 11 physics.

the teacher wants us to make something that would be relevant to the course, involving simple experiment and calcutions with fewest variables.

so far, we have learned, kinematics, electricity, energy and i have chosen kinematics as my topic for the project. and i was wondering if it is valid experiment or not.

here is my rough plan for my project:
variables: 1) 2 different height in slope 2) 2 different weight of the golf ball

1.me and my partner has been working on making slopes with different height.
2. and we are going to roll(or simple push) a golf balls with different weight.
3. let the golf balls collide with some object (block of wood, toy car, etc.)
4. calculate the displacement of the object struck by golf ball.

so here are my questions.
im wondering what numbers we can calculate given variables and experiment. we haven't done any of the experiment given that we have just started the project. but i know we have to do some calculations. the main formulas concerned here are: F=ma, W=FxD, Eg=mgh. are there anything that I am missing? does this experiment make sense? what are the numbers do we have to find to calculate some work done on the object and energy transferred from golf balls to the object?

in conclusion, i thank you for reading this thread and for any suggestions.

please don't be afraid and tell me that this project sucks or this is not practical or something.

thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
To make it more interesting you could consider including the Brachistochrone curve:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brachistochrone_curve

The curve is special in that particles traveling the curve will get to the endpoint faster than one traveling the straight line to it.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of motion, including how objects move, the factors that affect their motion, and the mathematical descriptions of their motion.

2. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the rate at which an object moves, while velocity is the rate at which an object moves in a specific direction. Velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

3. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

4. What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities?

Scalar quantities have only magnitude (size or amount), while vector quantities have both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalar quantities include distance and speed, while examples of vector quantities include displacement and velocity.

5. How do you graph motion using kinematics?

To graph motion using kinematics, you would plot the position of an object on the y-axis and time on the x-axis. The slope of the resulting line would represent the object's velocity, and the slope of a tangent line on the graph would represent the object's acceleration.