Grade 11 Physics: WAVES. Finding Wavelength & Frequency

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions related to frequency and wavelength. The first question involves calculating the wavelength of a sound wave with a given frequency and velocity. The second question involves determining the frequency and period of a swinging motion. The conversation also provides helpful hints for solving these problems.
asweetland
I missed the day where we were taught the formulas for frequency & wavelength, so doing the questions below are a struggle. Please someone explain how .

Question 1 (wavelength) : The speed of sound in air at room temperature is 343m/s. The sound wave produced by striking middle C on a piano has a frequency of 256 Hz.
A) Calculate the wavelength of this sound
B) Calculate the wavelength for the sound produced by high C, one octave higher than middle C, with a frequency of 512 Hz.

^ This one I had no idea how to even start. :$

Question 2 (frequency) : A child swings back and forth on a swing 12 times in 30.0 seconds. Determine the frequency and period of the swinging.
^ This one I did the answer as f/t = 12/30 = .4 so is 0.4 Hz correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Question one: you know that velocity of the wave=frequency*Wavelength...that should help you get the wavelength I think.
Question two: I think you did that right..dont forget you also need to calculate the period for that. Remember period=1/frequency

1. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency?

Wavelength and frequency are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: wavelength = speed of light / frequency.

2. How do you calculate wavelength?

Wavelength can be calculated by dividing the speed of light (3.00 x 10^8 m/s) by the frequency of the wave. The resulting value will be in meters (m).

3. What is the unit for frequency?

Frequency is measured in Hertz (Hz), which is equivalent to 1 wave per second.

4. How does the wavelength and frequency of a wave change when it travels from one medium to another?

The wavelength of a wave changes when it travels from one medium to another, while the frequency remains constant. This is known as the principle of wavelength and frequency invariance. The speed of the wave may change, which in turn affects the wavelength, but the frequency remains the same.

5. Can you determine the wavelength or frequency of a wave without knowing the other value?

No, the wavelength and frequency of a wave are dependent on each other and cannot be determined without knowing the other value. However, if the speed of the wave is known, the wavelength and frequency can be calculated using the equation: wavelength = speed of wave / frequency.