Grade 11 Sound Intensity Question

In summary, for the first question, using the formula β2 - β1 = 10 log (I2/I1), where I2/I1 is equal to r1^2/r2^2, and inputting the values of β1 = 90 and I1 = 1, we get I2 = 10^4. This means that the sound would need to be 100 times more intense, which corresponds to 100 times more decibels. Therefore, the decibel level for the sound to be one hundred times the intensity would be 110dB.For the second question, using the same formula and inputting the values of β1 = 90 and β2 = 60, we get I
Zarquad

Homework Statement

If Phrank's new speakers produce a sound of 90dB at 10m,

a) How many decibels would be required for the sound to be one hundred times the intensity?

b) How close would Phrank need to stand for the intensity to be at 60dB?

Homework Equations

β2 - β1 = 10 log (I2/I1), where I2/I1 is equal to r1^2/r2^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 110dB for the first question and 100000m for the second. I'd just like someone to verify my answers. I'm not very confident on the second.

For both I just used the formula. For the second I used these values:
β2 = 60
β1 = 90
r1 = 10

Physics news on Phys.org
Another one:

Homework Statement

You are observing a little light that emits a beep and a flash at the same time. You move backwards until the moment before you no longer hear the beep. You measure the beep to be at a frequency of 512Hz with a wavelength of 0.66m, and the time between the flash of the light and you hearing the sound is 3s. How close do you need to be to the contraption to hear the sound at 30dB?

Homework Equations

β2 - β1 = 10 log (I2/I1), where I2/I1 is equal to r1^2/r2^2
d = vt
v = fλ

I think that's it.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 32m. I used the v=fλ to find the speed, which I then put into d=vt to find the distance at which you can't hear the beep anymore. Then I put that in the first equation and solved for r2 using these values:

r1 = What I got from d=vt
β1 = 0
β2 = 30

Please actually try to solve both of the questions I posted instead of just posting "makes sense to me" or something.

Zarquad said:
I got 110dB for the first question and 100000m for the second.
Agree with 110dB. Pls post your working for the second part.
Pls put new questions on separate threads.

1. What is sound intensity?

Sound intensity is a measure of the amount of sound energy that passes through a certain area in a given time. It is often measured in decibels (dB) and can vary depending on the source of the sound.

2. How is sound intensity related to loudness?

Sound intensity is not the same as loudness, although they are related. Loudness is a subjective measure of how loud a sound appears to be, while sound intensity is an objective measurement of the physical energy of the sound wave.

3. How is sound intensity measured?

Sound intensity is typically measured using a sound level meter, which detects and measures the pressure variations in the air caused by sound waves. The measurements are then converted into decibels (dB) to represent the sound intensity.

4. What factors affect sound intensity?

The factors that can affect sound intensity include the distance from the sound source, the type of medium the sound travels through, and any obstacles or barriers that may absorb or reflect the sound waves.

5. How does sound intensity impact hearing?

Exposure to high sound intensity levels for extended periods of time can lead to permanent hearing loss. It is important to protect our ears from loud noises and to limit exposure to high sound intensity levels to prevent damage to our hearing.