Grade 12 physics projectile concept question

In summary, the conversation is about a physics lab introducing Potential and Kinetic energy in a unit on projectiles. The first question involves solving for the impact speed of a projectile launched horizontally at 13m/s and the answer is -14.36m/s. The next question is to find the impact speed of the same projectile launched at a 30 degree angle, using energy equations. It is mentioned that the projectile can be broken into components, but it is not necessary. In conservation questions, the quantities before and after are listed and equated to each other to solve for the unknown variable. The conversation ends with discussing the types and amounts of energy the projectile starts and ends with.
brandonA
I had a physics lab that is introducing Potential and Kinetic energy into are unit on projectiles. The first question was solve for the impact speed of a projectile launched horizontally at a 13m/s, this impact speed is -14.36m/s. The next question was find the impact speed of the same projectile but it is now launched at an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal. I understand how to calculate this using kinematic equations but how would I do it with energy, by energy i mean

1/2mv² + mgh = 1/2mv²' + mgh'

Would I need to break it into its components?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can break it into components if you want - but did you need to break anything into components for the projectile launched horizontally?
In all conservation questions you start by listing the quantities before, and then the quantities after, then you put them equal to each other.
So what kinds of energy does the projectile start with and how much of each?
What kinds of energy does it end up with and how much of each (write down the maths - leaving stuff you don't know as a variable).
before = after ... solve for speed.

Related to Grade 12 physics projectile concept question

1. What is a projectile in physics?

A projectile in physics is any object that is thrown, shot, or launched into the air and is subject to the force of gravity. Examples of projectiles include a baseball thrown by a pitcher, a bullet fired from a gun, or a rocket launched into space.

2. How is the motion of a projectile affected by gravity?

Gravity affects the motion of a projectile by constantly pulling it downwards towards the Earth. This causes the projectile to follow a curved path known as a parabola. The speed and angle at which the projectile is launched also play a role in its motion.

3. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical motion in a projectile?

Horizontal motion refers to the movement of a projectile along the x-axis, while vertical motion refers to its movement along the y-axis. In a projectile's motion, the horizontal component remains constant while the vertical component is affected by gravity.

4. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance it travels before hitting the ground. It can be calculated using the formula R = v2 * sin(2θ) / g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What is the maximum height reached by a projectile?

The maximum height reached by a projectile can be calculated using the formula h = v2 * sin2(θ) / 2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. It is the highest point on the projectile's trajectory before it begins to fall back to the ground.