Gradient and finding the direction of maximum rate of change

In summary, the conversation is about a confusion regarding the direction of maximum rate of change in a mathematical equation, specifically in the second question of a homework assignment. The participants discuss the role of the gradient and a unit vector in determining this direction, ultimately concluding that the direction of maximum rate of change is the direction of the gradient, which can be represented as a unit vector in this case.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

Hi guys, it a very simple question, but it causing me a great deal of confusion. The questions are as follows:

upload_2017-3-28_10-58-20.png

So I worked out the ans for one which I have displayed below. But what I don't understand is what they want from the second question. Because the way I see it, the direction of maximum rate of change is the gradient itself. Am I missing something here because I am really lost.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1: ##\nabla f=\frac{-xi}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^3} -\frac{yj}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^3}-\frac{zk}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^3}##

##\nabla f = le^{lx+my+nz}i+me^{lx+my+nz}j+ne^{lx+my+nz}k##

2: I make the direction as follows: ##(-xi-yj-zk)## & ##li+mj+nk##

Is this correct or have I miss understood the question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the exponent in the denominator in the first f in part 1).
For part 2: I agree with you : ##-\bf\hat r## and ##(l,m,n)##.

[edit] perhaps for 'direction' the exercise composer wants to see ##\bf \hat r## ?

Taylor_1989 said:
But what I don't understand is what they want from the second question. Because the way I see it, the direction of maximum rate of change is the gradient itself.

?

The direction of maximum rate of change is the direction of the gradient. That generally means a unit vector,

BvU said:
Check the exponent in the denominator in the first f in part 1).
For part 2: I agree with you : ##-\bf\hat r## and ##(l,m,n)##.

[edit] perhaps for 'direction' the exercise composer wants to see ##\bf \hat r## ?
Thank you I did not put the 3/2 in thanks.

PeroK said:
The direction of maximum rate of change is the direction of the gradient. That generally means a unit vector,

when u say unit vector you mean ##\frac{\nabla f}{|\nabla f|}##?

Taylor_1989 said:
when u say unit vector you mean ##\frac{\nabla f}{|\nabla f|}##?

In this case, yes. If you look at the difference between the gradient and the direction if the gradient for the second function - the exponential - you'll see the point.

1. What is a gradient?

The gradient is a vector quantity that represents the rate of change of a function in a given direction. It is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each of its independent variables.

2. How is the gradient used to find the direction of maximum rate of change?

The direction of maximum rate of change is given by the direction in which the gradient vector points. This means that the direction of the gradient is perpendicular to the level curves of the function, and the magnitude of the gradient represents the rate of change in that direction.

3. Can the gradient be negative?

Yes, the gradient can have a negative value. This indicates that the function is decreasing in that particular direction. The sign of the gradient is determined by the direction in which the function is increasing.

4. How is the gradient used in optimization problems?

In optimization problems, the gradient is used to find the direction of steepest ascent or descent. This direction points towards the maximum or minimum value of the function, respectively. By following the gradient, it is possible to iteratively approach the optimal solution.

5. Can the gradient be used for multivariable functions?

Yes, the gradient can be used for functions with multiple independent variables. In this case, the gradient is a vector with as many components as there are independent variables. Each component represents the rate of change of the function in the corresponding direction.