Gradient of a Vector Dot Product

In summary, the expression is:\overline{\nabla}(\overline{A}\cdot\overline{B}) = \overline{\nabla}(\overline{A}\cdot\overline{\nabla}B) + \overline{\nabla}(\overline{B}\cdot\overline{\nabla}A)
pcalhoun
Hello,

I was messing around with subscript summation notation problems, and I ended up trying to determine a vector identity for the following expresion:

[tex]\overline{\nabla}(\overline{A}\cdot\overline{B})[/tex]

Here are my steps for as far as I got:

[tex]\hat{e}_{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x_{i}}(A_{j}\hat{e}_{j}\cdot B_{k}\hat{e}_{k})[/tex]
[tex]\hat{e}_{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x_{i}}(A_{j}B_{k}\delta_{jk})[/tex]
[tex]\hat{e}_{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x_{i}}(A_{j}B_{j})[/tex]
[tex]\hat{e}_{i}(A_{j}\frac{\partial B_{j}}{\partial x_{i}} +B_{j}\frac{\partial A_{j}}{\partial x_{i}} )[/tex]

After these steps, I could not clearly see any ways to continue to manipulate this expression.
Not knowing whether an identity actually existed for this expression, I turned to wikipedia and they suprisingly had the solution (which was more complicated than I thought it would have been.)
Regardless, I wasn't sure what steps could be taken to arrive at the solution.

Thanks,
pcalhoun

Physics news on Phys.org
pcalhoun said:
After these steps, I could not clearly see any ways to continue to manipulate this expression.
The expression in Wikipedia,

[tex]\boldsymbol{\nabla}(\boldsymbol{A}\cdot\boldsymbol{B}) =
(\boldsymbol{A}\cdot\boldsymbol{\nabla})\boldsymbol{B} +
(\boldsymbol{B}\cdot\boldsymbol{\nabla})\boldsymbol{A} +
\boldsymbol{A}\times(\boldsymbol{\nabla}\times\boldsymbol{B}) +
\boldsymbol{B}\times(\boldsymbol{\nabla}\times\boldsymbol{A})
[/tex]

is, IMHO, much worse than your simple expression. The wiki expression is a computation nightmare: much, much more expensive and subject to loss of accuracy. In short, yech.

The way to proceed is to creatively add zero to the right hand side of your simple expression.

With a little luck, I found an equivalent expression (assuming no mistakes) dealing with dyadic/outer products of Del and the two vectors:

[tex](\overline{ \nabla } \overline{ A } ) \cdot \overline{B} + (\overline{ \nabla } \overline{ B } ) \cdot \overline{ A } [/tex]

Anyways, thanks for the help D H.

Cheers,
pcalhoun

Even though this is old I'll reply for random googlers.

Your form is correct, however to get to the wikipedia form which is more usable in many analytical things you just need to look up the definition of the curl through levi civita symbols.

Because if you subtract the two first terms in the wikipedia form from your form you will be left with the definition of the two second ones. But to work this in index notations you need the levi-civita's methinks.

Related to Gradient of a Vector Dot Product

1. What is the definition of the gradient of a vector dot product?

The gradient of a vector dot product is a vector that represents the rate of change of the dot product in each direction of a coordinate system.

2. How is the gradient of a vector dot product calculated?

The gradient of a vector dot product can be calculated by taking the dot product of the two vectors and then differentiating the result with respect to each variable in the coordinate system.

3. What does the gradient of a vector dot product represent?

The gradient of a vector dot product represents the direction and magnitude of the steepest ascent or descent of the dot product in the coordinate system.

4. How does the gradient of a vector dot product relate to the directional derivative?

The gradient of a vector dot product is equivalent to the directional derivative in the direction of the gradient vector. In other words, the gradient gives the direction in which the dot product changes the most rapidly.

5. Can the gradient of a vector dot product be negative?

Yes, the gradient of a vector dot product can be negative, as it represents both magnitude and direction. A negative gradient indicates a decrease in the dot product in the direction of the gradient vector.