Unit Basis Components of a Vector in Tensorial Expressions?

In summary, the divergence formula is: $\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{A}= \frac{1}{\sqrt{G}} \frac{\partial}{\partial q^{j}} (A^{j} \sqrt{G})$
yucheng
Homework Statement
Vanderlinde, Classical Electromagnetic Theory
Relevant Equations
N/A
Divergence formula

$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{A}= \frac{1}{\sqrt{G}} \frac{\partial}{\partial q^{j}} (A^{j} \sqrt{G})$$

If we express it in terms of the components of ##\vec{A}## in unit basis using

$$A^{*j} = \sqrt{g^{jj}} A^{j}$$

, we get $$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{A}= \frac{1}{\sqrt{G}} \frac{\partial}{\partial q^{j}} (A^{*j} \sqrt{g^{jj} G})$$

However, did the author intend
$$A^{j} = \sqrt{g^{jj}} A^{*j}$$

(quick check: with this one can directly substitute to get the correct divergence formula)? Because
$$\vec{A} = A^{j} \vec{e}_j = A^{*j} \hat{e}_j = A^{*j} \frac{1}{\sqrt{g_{jj}}} \sqrt{g_{jj}} \hat{e}_j = A^{*j} \sqrt{g^{jj}} \, \vec{e}_j$$

, since $$\vec{e}^{i} \cdot \vec{e}_{i} = \hat{e}^{i} \cdot \hat{e}_{i} \sqrt{g^{ii}g_{ii}} = \sqrt{g^{ii}g_{ii}} = 1$$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let ##q^i## be orthogonal co-ordinates and let the scale factors in the holonomic basis be ##h_i \equiv \sqrt{\boldsymbol{e}_i \cdot \boldsymbol{e}_i} = \sqrt{g_{ii}}## (no sum). Then ##\boldsymbol{e}_i = h_i \hat{\boldsymbol{e}}_i## (no sum) and
\begin{align*}
\boldsymbol{A} = \sum_i A^i \boldsymbol{e}_i = \sum_i A^i h_i \hat{\boldsymbol{e}}_i \equiv \sum_i {A^*}^i \hat{\boldsymbol{e}}_i
\end{align*}from which one identifies the physical components in the normalised basis as ##{A^*}^i = h_i A^i## (no sum), which is as you wrote. The divergence formula:\begin{align*}
\nabla \cdot \boldsymbol{A} = \sum_i \nabla_i A^i &= \sum_i \frac{1}{\sqrt{|g|}} \frac{\partial}{\partial q^{i}} \left(A^{i} \sqrt{|g|} \right) \\
&= \sum_i \frac{1}{\sqrt{|g|}} \frac{\partial}{\partial q^{i}} \left( \frac{1}{h_i} {A^*}^i \sqrt{|g|} \right)
\end{align*}And of course ##h_i = \sqrt{g_{ii}} = 1/\sqrt{g^{ii}}## (no sum).

Likes yucheng
##{A^*}^i = h_i A^i = \sqrt{g_{ii}} A^{i}## So would you agree that the formula the author gave, ##A^{*j} = \sqrt{g^{jj}} A^{j} ## is... at best... confusing?

Likes ergospherical
yucheng said:
So would you agree that the formula the author gave, ##A^{*j} = \sqrt{g^{jj}} A^{j} ## is... at best... confusing?
I agree with you that it is wrong! It should, of course, be ##A^{*j} = \sqrt{g_{jj}} A^{j} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{g^{jj}}} A^j## (no sum).

Likes yucheng
ergospherical said:
And of course hi=gii=1/gii (no sum), but I'm not sure why you'd want to start re-writing it in this form. Writing it in terms of the scale factors is simplest, no?
Because I am trying to compute the divergence of functions, and since most functions we have are given in spherical/cylindrical coordinates, they are usually expressed in terms of the unit vectors... So the original formula does not work...

The quantities ##h_i = \sqrt{g_{ii}}## are usually called the scale factors of the co-ordinates.

Likes yucheng
  • Love
Likes ergospherical

1. What are unit basis components in tensorial expressions?

Unit basis components refer to the coefficients that represent the magnitude and direction of a vector in a specific coordinate system. In tensorial expressions, these components are used to describe the vector in terms of a basis set of unit vectors.

2. How are unit basis components calculated?

The unit basis components of a vector can be calculated by taking the dot product of the vector with each of the unit basis vectors in the coordinate system. This will result in a set of scalar values that represent the magnitude of the vector in each direction.

3. What is the significance of unit basis components in tensorial expressions?

Unit basis components are important in tensorial expressions because they allow for the representation of a vector in a specific coordinate system. This makes it easier to perform calculations and transformations on the vector.

4. How do unit basis components relate to tensors?

In tensorial expressions, unit basis components are used to define the elements of a tensor. The tensor is then used to represent the vector in a specific coordinate system, making it easier to manipulate and work with.

5. Can unit basis components be used to represent any type of vector?

Yes, unit basis components can be used to represent any type of vector in a specific coordinate system. This includes both geometric vectors, such as displacement or velocity, as well as abstract vectors, such as forces or electric fields.