Graduate assistantships and defaulted loans.

In summary, the individual is a permanent resident of the US who defaulted on school loans and a credit card due to financial and living difficulties. They are now planning to apply to US graduate schools for a PhD and are wondering if their past default will affect their admissions or their ability to obtain a graduate assistantship. It is unclear if there are any official guidelines regarding this situation, but the individual has the option to pay back their federal loans in a lump sum or through monthly payments. However, there may still be a potential issue with graduate assistantships depending on the school's policies.
v0rtex
Hello,

I'm a permanent resident of the US and some years ago I began my studies in a US university on grants+loans. After my first year, I found myself in a terrible financial and living situation which forced me to move back to Europe and I ended up defaulting on my school loans (under $5k) and credit card (around the same amount).

There I started a (different) degree from scratch which I will be graduating from next year and have the intention of applying to US graduate schools for a phd this coming winter.

I understand that having defaulted on school loans disqualifies you from obtaining additional loans if you go back to school until you pay it all back or make some timely payments. But will having defaulted on school loans bar me from grad school admissions or perceiving a graduate TA/RA or does it only bar you from federal loans? I haven't found any official info on this matter, didn't find anything on this subject in particular at the fedaid webpage.

I am able to pay back my federal loans in a lump sum thanks to a relative who is willing to lend me the money, but I'd like to know if graduate school assistantships are still a possibility in my situation before going through with it, otherwise I'd just start repaying them on a monthly basis once I get a job.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's up to the school, I think. I would personally think twice about having someone who has done this in my lab, so you may have a problem even if the rules don't specifically prohibit it.

1. What is a graduate assistantship?

A graduate assistantship is a type of financial assistance provided to graduate students by universities and colleges. It typically involves working for the university in a teaching or research capacity while pursuing a graduate degree.

2. How do I apply for a graduate assistantship?

The process for applying for a graduate assistantship varies by institution. Some universities automatically consider all admitted students for assistantships, while others require a separate application. It is best to check with the specific university or department for their application requirements and deadlines.

3. What are the benefits of a graduate assistantship?

Graduate assistantships provide a number of benefits, including a stipend or salary, tuition remission, and valuable experience in teaching or research. They also often include health insurance and other benefits, depending on the institution.

4. What happens if I default on my student loans while on a graduate assistantship?

If you default on your student loans while on a graduate assistantship, it can have serious consequences. Your wages may be garnished to repay the loans, and your credit score will be negatively affected. It is important to communicate with your loan servicer and discuss options for managing your loans while on a graduate assistantship.

5. Can I still receive a graduate assistantship if I have defaulted on previous student loans?

It is possible to still receive a graduate assistantship if you have defaulted on previous student loans, but it may be more difficult. Some universities may have policies in place that prevent students with defaulted loans from receiving assistantships. It is important to communicate with the university and loan servicer to determine your options.