Graduate Physics after MsC res in Chemical Biology and Bachelor in Biology

In summary, I am happy with the decision to take the Msc in Physics by Research course at Royal Holloway and I am looking forward to continuing my research in Condensed matter physics and Nanophysics.
Jirnyak
I am 25 and I have graduated from Oxford university in Chemical Biology but strongly believe that I want to do Physics all my future life. I did my Masters by research on the department of Chemistry and I was co-supervised by Professor in Organic Chemistry and Professor in Physical Chemistry. So that's why I fell in love into Physics. I was doing a lot of NMR and quantum mechanics and started to like Maths which I hated before.
Being the STEM scientist I had some general physics and calculus courses during my undergraduate studies and I got excellent grades for them. I have also self studying physics by reading Feynman Lectures and watching Theoretical minimum course. However, I understand that it is absolutely cannot be compared with the Background of Physics Bachelors. However, I have a background of interdisciplinary scientific research.

Now I am searching for PhD in Biophysics on the departments of Physics. However, I am also considering Msc programs in Physics.
I do not want top tier universities, I just like physics and I want to switch to it as soon as it is possible. Is 25 years old age a problem, considering also my STEM background and experience?

Could you please describe me my chances about successfully finding Physics related PhD (and can I for example get second PhD in Physics finishing Biological physics PhD? Or should I focus on applying for Msc res in Physics programs?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you already know that getting into a graduate physics program without an undergraduate degree in physics is going to be a challenge. Most graduate programs in physics will consider candidates with related degrees. It's not uncommon, for example, to see people who've done physical chemistry transition into physics for graduate work. But I'm not sure how much preparation a background in chemical biology will have given you.

Unfortunately self-study doesn't count for much when it comes to graduate school admissions. That's not to say it doesn't have value, but the problem is anyone can *say* they've completed self-study, so objective comparisons between students is extremely difficult.

That said, biophysics does tend to be a rather interdisciplinary field and if you're looking at doing that specifically for a PhD you might be able to find a program through a chemistry department that will take you with your current background as is.

As for being 25, don't worry about it. Even if you decide to go back and complete an undergraduate degree and then do a PhD in physics, that's not going to make much of a difference on things like the probability of admission. Where it does tend to come into play is when you're in your thirties and still living as a PhD student. Most people at that stage of life are looking at starting a family, buying a house, etc. That can be challenging when you're still a student. But those factors are all about personal choice.

Likes Jirnyak
Choppy said:
I think you already know that getting into a graduate physics program without an undergraduate degree in physics is going to be a challenge. Most graduate programs in physics will consider candidates with related degrees. It's not uncommon, for example, to see people who've done physical chemistry transition into physics for graduate work. But I'm not sure how much preparation a background in chemical biology will have given you.

Unfortunately self-study doesn't count for much when it comes to graduate school admissions. That's not to say it doesn't have value, but the problem is anyone can *say* they've completed self-study, so objective comparisons between students is extremely difficult.

That said, biophysics does tend to be a rather interdisciplinary field and if you're looking at doing that specifically for a PhD you might be able to find a program through a chemistry department that will take you with your current background as is.

As for being 25, don't worry about it. Even if you decide to go back and complete an undergraduate degree and then do a PhD in physics, that's not going to make much of a difference on things like the probability of admission. Where it does tend to come into play is when you're in your thirties and still living as a PhD student. Most people at that stage of life are looking at starting a family, buying a house, etc. That can be challenging when you're still a student. But those factors are all about personal choice.

Dear Choppy,

Thank you for your reply, just to let you know and also to make this post more completed: I was accepted to Msc Physics by Research course in Royal Holloway. I am very happy with it, I am on Condensed matter physics in Nanophysics group working on qubits! I am attending the research specific lectures now (quantum mechanics, nanophysics). I am struggling in some things but this is very interesting and exciting.

Likes epenguin, Choppy, Dishsoap and 1 other person

1. What is the difference between a Master's in Chemical Biology and a Bachelor's in Biology?

A Master's in Chemical Biology is a graduate degree that focuses on the intersection of chemistry and biology. This program typically involves coursework in both fields and may also include research opportunities. A Bachelor's in Biology, on the other hand, is an undergraduate degree that provides a broad foundation in biology and may not have as much focus on chemistry.

2. What career opportunities are available with a Master's in Chemical Biology?

Graduates with a Master's in Chemical Biology may pursue careers in research, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and other related fields. They may work in laboratories, universities, or private companies. Some may also choose to pursue further education, such as a PhD, to advance their career opportunities.

3. Can I pursue a PhD in Physics after completing a Master's in Chemical Biology and a Bachelor's in Biology?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a PhD in Physics with this background. However, you may need to take additional coursework in physics to meet the requirements for a PhD program. It is important to research specific program requirements and speak with an advisor to determine the best path for your career goals.

4. Is a background in Chemical Biology beneficial for a career in Physics?

A background in Chemical Biology can be beneficial for a career in Physics, especially if you are interested in research or interdisciplinary work. Many areas of physics, such as biophysics and materials science, involve the study of biological systems and may require knowledge of chemistry. Additionally, the critical thinking and problem-solving skills gained from a background in Chemical Biology can be valuable in any scientific field.

5. What skills will I develop during a Master's in Chemical Biology program?

A Master's in Chemical Biology program can help develop skills in research, data analysis, critical thinking, and communication. Students may also gain a deep understanding of the principles and techniques used in both chemistry and biology, as well as the ability to apply this knowledge to solve complex problems. Additionally, students may develop skills in teamwork and collaboration through group projects and research opportunities.