Graduate School: "I want to do it all"

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's struggle in choosing between engineering, physics, and math as their undergraduate major. They are currently taking 6 courses a semester to cover all three subjects and are now considering graduate programs that focus exclusively on mathematical methods. They are also interested in nuclear engineering and wonder if it is possible to study functional analysis in that program. The conversation suggests that there are several routes to take, such as aerospace, mechanical, or electrical engineering, that involve studying mathematical concepts like computational fluid dynamics, plasma, and control theory. One participant suggests that pursuing a degree in electrical engineering may be a good option as it involves both real and complex analysis, probability theory, and differential equations.
Convuler
Choosing between engineering, physics and math is a choice I have been putting off for a long time. I am in my undergrad under engineering physics trying to do it all still by taking 6 courses a semester so that I can still fit in things like real analysis and topology, as well as quantum, EM, and then your typical engineering fare: such as fluid mechanics, heat transfer, etc.

As my time until graduate school shrinks I realize I need to start making some decisions. What I'm wondering is, are there are graduate programs in engineering (or other) where you could focus exclusively on mathematical methods? I've also been interested in nuclear engineering in the past, though I have it in my head that it's possible to study functional analysis in a nuclear engineering program, where might I have read that? Is it true?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mind you I am not an expert. You could go into a aerospace or mechanical grad school to study computational fluid dynamics which can be math heavy. Or you could even go into some EE grad schools and study plasma's which could have a large mathematical and physics portion to it. Look into those. There are many other routes that are even more mathematical like control theory, but as far as i know that is a bit more removed from the physics aspect;

I would go with EE. I did my undergraduate in math and I am finishing a MS in mechanical in the control theory area. The control courses in ME are easier than the ones in EE. From this experience, I am applying to PhD programs in EE. In EE, you get to use analysis both real and complex and probability theory beside the normal differetntial equations.

Related to Graduate School: "I want to do it all"

1. What is graduate school?

Graduate school is a post-graduate education program that allows students to pursue advanced degrees in a specific field of study. It typically involves more specialized coursework, research, and practical experience compared to undergraduate studies.

2. What types of degrees can I earn in graduate school?

Common degrees offered in graduate school include master's degrees and doctorate degrees. Some programs may also offer professional degrees, such as a law degree or medical degree.

3. How long does it take to complete graduate school?

The length of graduate school varies depending on the program and the degree being pursued. On average, a master's degree can take 1-2 years to complete, while a doctorate degree can take 4-6 years. Professional degrees may take longer.

4. What are the benefits of attending graduate school?

Attending graduate school can provide numerous benefits, including advanced knowledge and skills in a specific field, career advancement opportunities, higher salary potential, and networking opportunities with professionals in your field.

5. How can I determine if graduate school is the right choice for me?

Deciding to attend graduate school requires careful consideration of your personal and professional goals. It is important to research different programs, speak with current students and alumni, and evaluate the cost and potential return on investment for your chosen degree.