Graduate School Research Expenditures by Sub-Field

In summary, the conversation is about finding a central source for physics graduate school research expenditures, specifically broken down by sub-field. The person asking the question is having trouble finding this information and is looking for a rough guide to help evaluate different grad schools. Another person suggests checking out department profiles on Gradschoolshopper.com, which pulls data from AIS. The original person thanks them and mentions finding a PDF version of the full department breakdown.
teroenza
I am looking for a central source of physics graduate school research expenditures, broken down by sub-field (nuclear, condensed matter, AMO, HEP, etc.). I can find the total amount spent here

http://www.petersons.com/graduate-schools

but I am not sure where to go for this kind of specificity. This is going to be a rough guide to what each school specializes in as I evaluate grad schools.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The department profiles at Gradschoolshopper.com has exactly what you're looking for, they pull all their data straight from AIS.

Likes 1 person
Thanks so much. I just realized that I needed to click around to find the .pdf version of the full department breakdown.

That's the one I used when I was looking. It was in book form back then.

for your question! I completely understand your need for specific and detailed information when evaluating graduate schools for your research interests. I suggest checking out the National Science Foundation's (NSF) Survey of Graduate Students and Postdoctorates in Science and Engineering (GSS) for this type of data. The NSF GSS collects information on research expenditures by sub-field for graduate students in science and engineering fields, including physics. You can access this data through the NSF's website or through their data tool, WebCASPAR. Additionally, many universities also publish their own data on research expenditures by sub-field on their websites, so be sure to check the individual websites of the schools you are interested in. I hope this helps in your search for the right graduate school for you. Best of luck!

Related to Graduate School Research Expenditures by Sub-Field

1. What is the purpose of conducting research on graduate school expenditures by sub-field?

The purpose of conducting research on graduate school expenditures by sub-field is to gain a better understanding of how resources are allocated and utilized within different fields of study at the graduate level. This can help researchers, policymakers, and institutions make more informed decisions about funding and investments in specific fields.

2. How is the data for this research collected?

The data for this research is typically collected through surveys or reports from graduate schools and universities. These institutions are responsible for tracking and reporting their expenditures, including those specifically related to graduate programs and sub-fields.

3. What are some common sub-fields that are included in the research on graduate school expenditures?

Some common sub-fields that are included in this type of research are STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) fields, social sciences, humanities, business, education, and health sciences. However, the specific sub-fields may vary depending on the focus and scope of the research.

4. How can the findings of this research be used?

The findings of this research can be used in various ways. For example, they can inform funding decisions by government agencies, help graduate schools and universities identify areas where more resources may be needed, and guide students in choosing fields of study based on the availability of resources and opportunities within their sub-field of interest.

5. Are there any limitations to this type of research?

Yes, there are some limitations to this type of research. One limitation is that the data may not be consistently collected or reported across all institutions, which can affect the accuracy and comparability of the findings. Additionally, the research may not capture all types of expenditures, such as grants or donations, which can also impact the results.