Graham Drops out of the 2016 Presidential Race

In summary, Lindsey Graham announced that he is dropping out of the presidential race. He did not give a reason for his leave, but he made it clear that he is opposed to the current president.
RooksAndBooks
Gold Member
Lindsey Graham is a Senator who ran for president. Recently, however, he has decided to drop out of the race.

The problem I see with this video is that he doesn't explain why he is leaving the race. He only says that he's leaving the race and talks about the military. I personally think that he left because he wasn't faring well with the polls, however this is just my opinion and please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm personally indifferent as to him announcing his leave; he supported things I vehemently disagreed with albeit he didn't do well with the polls so I didn't see a reason to care about him. One issue was that he supports mandatory prayer in public schools. The reason I disagree with him on this issue is due to the fact that there is no evidence supporting the fact that the United States of America was in fact founded on Christian values and principles. The only evidence you could find it the Declaration of Independence, which states, " . . . That all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights . . . " However, the Bill of Rights guarantees the freedom of religion and you could interpret this to mean any god or form of deity; you could interpret it as a pantheistic worldview that the universe itself is divine, too. Also, the Treaty of Tripoli explicitly states, "As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion . . . " Ultimately, you'd be imposing religion by having mandatory prayer in public schools, which is unconstitutional; there's also no reason to do it since there isn't any objective evidence supporting the idea that America was founded on Christian principles.

What are your thoughts on this?

Likes Thewindyfan and Silicon Waffle
Physics news on Phys.org
With negligible vote results, where would be the point of wasting more time on that campaign?

Likes RooksAndBooks
Rio Larsen said:
One issue was that he supports mandatory prayer in public schools.

Keep in mind that he's from South Carolina, where I'm sure a large majority of my neighbors agree with him on this. A member of the state board of education once said, not terribly long ago, in connection with displaying (or not) the Ten Commandments in public schools, "Screw the Buddhists and kill the Muslims."

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1997/E...-Muslims-/id-935df1a55838e5ae61535374905754fc

It doesn't hurt anyone to be kind to those for whom prayer is important
especially if he considers himself superior to them .

Rio Larsen said:
The only evidence you could find it the Declaration of Independence,

train your search engine

Benjamin Franklin

“All of us who were engaged in the struggle must have observed frequent instances of superintending providence in our favor. To that kind providence we owe this happy opportunity of consulting in peace on the means of establishing our future national felicity. And have we now forgotten that powerful friend? Or do we imagine that we no longer need his assistance? I have lived, Sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing Proofs I see of this Truth — That God governs in the Affairs of Men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his Notice, is it probable that an Empire can rise without his Aid? We have been assured, Sir, in the Sacred Writings, that except the Lord build the House they labor in vain who build it. I firmly believe this, — and I also believe that without his concurring Aid, we shall succeed in this political Building no better than the Builders of Babel: We shall be divided by our little partial local interests; our Projects will be confounded, and we ourselves shall become a Reproach and Bye word down to future Ages.” – Request for prayer at the Constitutional Convention, June 28, 1787; The Papers of James Madison, Henry D. Gilpin, editor, (Washington: Langtree and O’Sullivan, 1840), Vol. II, pp. 984-986, June 28, 1787; Notes of Debates in the Federal Convention of 1787 Reported by James Madison, James Madison, (New York: W.W. Norton & Company, Inc., Ohio University Press, 1966), pp. 209-210

humility used to be considered a virtue

That 1796 treaty with Tripoli must've not worked - we sent the fleet over there to kick butt in 1801
Unfortunately, the pasha had not waited to hear from the new president. Yusuf Qaramanli declared war on the United States on May 14, 1801 by chopping down the flagpole at the American consulate in Tripoli.21
Destroyer USS Sterett is named after a particularly colorful American sailor of the time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Sterett

Likes RooksAndBooks
Lindsey Graham may have been the last real hope of the Republican Party as the RNC currently sees itself. He has been the most openly hostile candidate to Trump candidacy. As a politician he has been doing what this country wants, a government that is not embroiled "holy war" of ideals" resulting in a stagnation governmental progress. He realizes the necessity of compromize and not locked in the schackles of ideology. He knows "You can't always get what you want".
However, He may as a senator be more valuable to this country.

Rio Larsen said:
One issue was that he supports mandatory prayer in public schools.
The issue was "Supports requiring schools to allow prayer", considerably different. Currently prayer in public schools led either by students or school officials is banned by a string of court decisions.

Likes RooksAndBooks and jim hardy
I can't edit my post to have it better fit reality. So, I'll just rewrite things here.

If you want to pray in a public school, I'd say be my guest. However, I vehemently disagree with mandatory prayer in public schools. Lindsey Graham supports requiring students to be allowed to pray, which I'm okay with as long as he doesn't want to go as far as to require students to pray.

1. What are the reasons for Graham dropping out of the 2016 Presidential Race?

Senator Lindsey Graham cited lack of support and low polling numbers as the main reasons for his decision to drop out of the 2016 Presidential Race.

2. How did Graham's decision to drop out impact the race?

Graham's decision to drop out of the race did not have a significant impact, as he was polling at less than 1% and was not considered a frontrunner in the first place.

3. What are the implications of Graham dropping out for the Republican Party?

Graham's departure from the race may signal a narrowing of the Republican field and a shift towards more established candidates. It may also impact the party's stance on certain issues, as Graham was known for his more moderate views.

4. Will Graham's supporters now back another candidate?

It is likely that Graham's supporters will now back another candidate, as they may share similar ideologies and values. However, it is ultimately up to each individual supporter to decide which candidate they will now support.

5. What does this mean for Graham's political future?

While dropping out of the race may be seen as a setback for Graham's political career, he still holds his position as a senator and may continue to have a significant impact in the political arena. He may also choose to run for another political office in the future.