Grammar checkers - online or software?

• Thread starter scottdave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Software
In summary, the conversation discusses different grammar checkers, including Microsoft Word's grammar checker and the more advanced ones like Grammarly. Some users have had positive experiences with grammar checkers, while others have had issues with false positives. There is a question about who the intended user of grammar checkers is, and a suggestion to review and compare different grammar checkers for their effectiveness.
scottdave
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
So what grammar checkers are good to use. I recently found www.Grammarly.com which was from a YouTube ad, I think. I Googled grammar checkers, and came up with a bunch, some claiming to be free, but I don't really want to install anything without recommendation. A long time ago in a galaxy far away, I had a DOS computer with WordStar or something. Then I got something, I think it was Webster's New World Writer, which was a word processor that had spell and grammar checking. It would give information such as reading ease scores, and how to improve my writing. It looks like Grammarly had a paid version, which will do that, but I'd rather not go into a subscription of paying forever... do I really need to update my grammar checker constantly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Microsoft Word has one but of course that's not free.

A great question should be, Who is the intended user of any online or otherwise Grammar Checker? If for English, is intended for everybody, or just non-native English speakers or English learners?

Any word processing software worthy of the categorization will include a grammar checker. Do you not have one?

Likes Wrichik Basu
russ_watters said:
Any word processing software worthy of the categorization will include a grammar checker. Do you not have one?
Jarte does not seem to have one. WordPad does not seem to have one. That does not mean these have none - just that I could not find any in the tools/menues features and the search in their helpfiles did not show any mention of grammar checker.

As a native English language speaker using or writing in English, I never have used any grammar checker. Normally my own use of grammar is good - occasional some mistakes but generally very small when I made those. I know I've made a few grammar mistakes on the physics forums. Much easier to handle good grammar has been when composing a business letter, but again, I have never used any grammar checker tool.

No idea how good they are now (and I admit I haven't tried them), but I somehow doubt their worth. Natural language processing is still something computers are not good at (think google translator).

Back in nineties (yes, that was long ago) I tried some grammar checker and it was a complete joke. Actually the only thing it did about right was to point out too long sentences. I hope they are much better now, but I don't hold my breath yet.

Likes BillTre and symbolipoint
symbolipoint said:
WordPad does not seem to have one.
yeah but Wordpad is an extreme cutdown version of the full MS Word

symbolipoint said:
Jarte does not seem to have one. WordPad does not seem to have one. That does not mean these have none - just that I could not find any in the tools/menues features and the search in their helpfiles did not show any mention of grammar checker.
My post was meant for the OP, but in either case, I guess I don't really have a frame of reference here; I'm not sure I've ever used a computer that didn't have word processing software on it.

symbolipoint said:
I never have used any grammar checker. Normally my own use of grammar is good - occasional some mistakes but generally very small when I made those.
All of my Microsoft Word installations have grammar checking, although I do have some options set to minimize the number of false hits. I've found that technical writing often triggers grammar "error" hits that are not real. There are just some words and phrases that we use in technical writing that look funny to more traditional grammar checkers.

upload_2018-7-27_7-48-56.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-27_7-48-56.png
    upload_2018-7-27_7-48-56.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 686
Likes BillTre
My experience is similar to those of @Borek and @berkeman. I have used MS Word for years and experienced their grammar checker.
It does a few things OK but has false positives (from my point of view).

It would be interesting to see a review of the more advanced grammar checkers like @scottdave mentioned.
They seem to be a different class of grammer chacker and look at a lot of more things.
I could not find a review comparing a lot of different grammar checkers but here is one of those internet lists listing high end checkers.

symbolipoint said:
A great question should be, Who is the intended user of any online or otherwise Grammar Checker? If for English, is intended for everybody, or just non-native English speakers or English learners?
BillTre said:
My experience is similar to those of @Borek and @berkeman. I have used MS Word for years and experienced their grammar checker.
It does a few things OK but has false positives (from my point of view).

It would be interesting to see a review of the more advanced grammar checkers like @scottdave mentioned.
They seem to be a different class of grammer chacker and look at a lot of more things.
I could not find a review comparing a lot of different grammar checkers but here is one of those internet lists listing high end checkers.
The reason that I said and asked what I did, is that :
  • I am a native English speaker who was both taught and did learn to read and write and learn English Grammar.
  • All of my reading & writing experience was done without any such automated grammar-correction tools. I never knew ANYBODY who used them.
  • Any use of a language other than English allowed for some rechecking in a reference source such as a basic, fundamental textbook of the language - again this was never any sort of automated thing such as any software; but instead a regular traditional paper published textbook or booklet.

I use OpenOffice for word processing now. I will look if it has something. I think that my grammar is good. I'm writing a Statement of Purpose for Masters Application. I want a way to check if I missed something.

scottdave said:
I use OpenOffice for word processing now. I will look if it has something. I think that my grammar is good. I'm writing a Statement of Purpose for Masters Application. I want a way to check if I missed something.
For anyone who has very well ingrained "grammar is good", a grammar-checking tool is not necessary, since this is a big part of ones acquired intuition. One can reread as one writes and analyse and self-correct.

scottdave said:
I want a way to check if I missed something.
Feel free to PM me a copy. I'd be happy to proofread it for you. :smile:

I am pretty sure that Libreoffice has a built in grammar checker.

This is a free full service office suite that many people use in lieu of M$ Office. It is downloadable and free for personal use.

Check it out. www.libreoffice.org

diogenesNY

symbolipoint said:
For anyone who has very well ingrained "grammar is good", a grammar-checking tool is not necessary, since this is a big part of ones acquired intuition. One can reread as one writes and analyse and self-correct.
Sorry, but this is just naive. Nobody is perfect, and even professional writers have professional editors. Everyone should use a spelling and grammar checker in semi-formal and formal communication.

For me, for PF and email, spell checking is automatic except when I'm on a cell phone. Grammar notsomuch because I sometimes purposely write in a more conversational and less formal style.

Likes scottdave
symbolipoint said:
russ_watters said:
Sorry, but this is just naive. Nobody is perfect, and even professional writers have professional editors. Everyone should use a spelling and grammar checker in semi-formal and formal communication.

For me, for PF and email, spell checking is automatic except when I'm on a cell phone. Grammar notsomuch because I sometimes purposely write in a more conversational and less formal style.
I have my own grammar checker, in my head. Not perfect but easier to use. I adjust my written grammar only enough to help make any written work clearer to understand. The grammar-check action is an ongoing process while I write. Not so naive; I have handled my writing without any automated grammar checker for more than a couple of decades. I tend to know to watch for grammar problems when I make long, involved complex sentences and I do this very consciously and with some well-informed previous study; there was a great grammar & usage textbook I studied from (English 3200) which made so much about grammar very clear.

Naive? Never at any time during my time in high school and college was any such automated grammar checker available. Good writing becomes acquired. Some study needed and much practice are needed. I still might be using a few minor faults but I do not worry, until difficulties in natural understanding happen.

Word-Processors: I avoid MS Word, mostly because of its initial cost, even though it does have a grammar checker. The MS Word interface is not my favorite, which is why I still prefer Jarte (the free edition) and MS WordPad, and sometimes NotePad. These do not have a grammar checker.

russ_watters said:

I just now tried putting the content of my post #18 into Word 2016, for your satisfaction and my curiosity.. The proofing feature showed me just two spelling mistakes (NotePad and WordPad). No other indications of grammar mistakes were signaled. I would guess that "English 3200" should need to be underlined, since this is the abbreviated form of the book title, but maybe the grammar checker does not recognize this.

symbolipoint said:
I just now tried putting the content of my post #18 into Word 2016, for your satisfaction and my curiosity.. The proofing feature showed me just two spelling mistakes (NotePad and WordPad). No other indications of grammar mistakes were signaled.
Are you sure it didn't just check spelling, because mine found two. :wink:
[one was clearly on purpose, though]

In either case, even if you are a person with near-perfect grammar, as general guidance to others I would not recommend going without a spelling/grammar checker.

Likes scottdave
russ_watters said:
Are you sure it didn't just check spelling, because mine found two. :wink:
[one was clearly on purpose, though]

In either case, even if you are a person with near-perfect grammar, as general guidance to others I would not recommend going without a spelling/grammar checker.
Some further checking now seems interesting to do. The editions of Jarte do not contain any grammar checker. Neither paid nor free edition have one. WordPad does not have a grammar checker. There is an alternative AbiWord which does have a grammar checker. The Chrome browser can use an add-on or extension, Grammarly, to use when writing in fields through web pages. There is a free version, and a premium version at $11 per year.

symbolipoint said:
There is an alternative AbiWord which does have a grammar checker. The Chrome browser can use an add-on or extension, Grammarly, to use when writing in fields through web pages. There is a free version, and a premium version at $11 per year.
The premium version of Grammarly is $140 per year (approx $12/month). That's if you pay annually. It's $60 per quarter ($20/month) or $30 per month, if you go month to month.

symbolipoint said:
I have my own grammar checker, in my head. Not perfect but easier to use...
That is typically what I do, as well. But it's nice to have something that will point things out, that maybe I miss.

I'm in the printing business. We have a couple of people look over our work before it gets sent for the customer to proof. We catch many errors with this method, but we still miss things. Just when I started writing this essay, I thought it would nice to run through a grammar checker, to see what it recommends.

I honestly had no idea that my post would generate this much discussion. Thanks for all of the ideas.

Likes symbolipoint
scottdave said:
The premium version of Grammarly is $140 per year (approx $12/month). That's if you pay annually. It's $60 per quarter ($20/month) or $30 per month, if you go month to month.
Some of my information search included seeing a YouTube presentation, which either may be a little outdated or I mis-observed/heard part of it.

symbolipoint said:
Some of my information search included seeing a YouTube presentation, which either may be a little outdated or I mis-observed/heard part of it.
That's a great discount. The best I've seen is 25% off.

1. How accurate are online grammar checkers?

The accuracy of online grammar checkers can vary depending on the specific software or tool being used. Some online grammar checkers use advanced algorithms and artificial intelligence to provide highly accurate suggestions, while others may not be as reliable. It is important to choose a reputable and well-reviewed grammar checker for the most accurate results.

2. Can grammar checkers detect all types of errors?

Grammar checkers can detect a wide range of grammatical errors, such as spelling mistakes, punctuation errors, and incorrect verb tense usage. However, they may not be able to catch more nuanced errors or errors that require deeper understanding of the context or tone of the text. It is always important to proofread your writing yourself in addition to using a grammar checker.

3. Are there any limitations to using grammar checkers?

While grammar checkers can be helpful tools, they do have some limitations. For example, they may not be able to detect errors in non-standard English or colloquial language. They also may not be able to provide suggestions for improving sentence structure or overall writing style. It is important to use grammar checkers as a supplement to your own writing skills, rather than relying on them entirely.

4. Can grammar checkers improve my writing skills?

While grammar checkers can point out errors and provide suggestions for corrections, they cannot replace the development of strong writing skills. Grammar checkers can be helpful for catching mistakes and learning from them, but it is important to also actively work on improving your writing skills through practice, feedback, and learning from reputable sources.

5. Are online or software grammar checkers better?

Both online and software grammar checkers can be useful tools for improving your writing. Online grammar checkers are typically more convenient and accessible, while software grammar checkers may offer more advanced features and customization options. It is important to research and compare different options to determine which one best fits your needs and preferences.