Help me understand physics with sensory processing issues

In summary, the speaker has a strong interest in doing research in biophysics to develop organic nanomachines for medical purposes, but struggles with understanding the physical aspects of physics due to sensory processing disorder. Despite this, they have excelled in mathematical and language abilities and have received good grades in undergraduate level physics courses. They express a desire to bridge the gap between the mathematical equations and their own experiences in order to truly understand and appreciate physics.
bakindabacon
Hi all,

I have dreamed of doing research in biophysics to develop organic nanomachines which can treat people's medical problems by rebuilding them from the bottom up. The root of this comes from my own life experience. I grew up with unidentified learning issues as well as emotional and social problems and I deeply identify with the losers of the world. I really want to rise above being a loser but I fear that I am lacking the basic mental faculties to understand physics.

I am lucky enough to have strong math and language ability so word problems and higher level math (multivariable calculus, differential equations, etc.) have come pretty easy to me at the undergraduate level. I have gotten A's in intermediate mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. However I have very bad understanding of the actual physical phenomena, so physics classes are little more than just math classes to me. I feel like I am a fraud because people think I have a bright future in graduate school, and I might be able to score well enough on the GRE to get into a physics program. I just don't understand the "physical" part of physics.

I believe the problem is that I have sensory processing disorder, which means my mind and body are out of sync with the world. This means I have horrible physical insight (knowing how things are going to move, identifying forces in mechanics problems)

In my life, this has manifested itself as extreme clumsiness, no sense of time, difficulty keeping rhythm, poor spatial awareness of my own body, bad reaction time, weak memory for short exposure stimuli (fast speech, motion). I cannot understand for the life of me why I can do mental rotations, put things together and process maps on the fly while driving all with ease, but I have trouble knowing if I parked my car straight or crooked, how to eat without spilling something or throwing and catching a ball.

The whole point of physics is to quantify your experiences of the physical world which means connecting your whole lifetime of sensory experiences with equations. While I have always been excellent at mathematical problem solving and geometric visualization, I have horrible physical intuition. For example, I can't tell how long something takes to happen which makes my understanding of basic kinematics purely mathematical because I don't intuitively know if something is speeding up or slowing down unless I repeatedly watch a video of it.

Sometimes I don't remember the direction my body moves when a car goes around a curve or how something feels right before it stops sliding and begins to roll. Other times I can't figure out where something actually is in a mirror, or if a wide stream of water feels harder than a narrow stream of water.
I have had to memorize the setup for problems that involve tension or have unusual situations like a bosun's chair or multiple spring and pulley setups because I get confused trying to work it out through physical intuition.

I want this world of physics to be more than a bunch of mathematical equations, I want to actually experience with my senses in a meaningful way what I am learning. I am at a loss because my problem is with connecting everyday experiences I have had hundreds of times over the course of my life with the equations that I learn. I am stubborn as a mule so giving up has never occurred to me, but I want to be able to get my PhD by age 40, so how can I bridge that gap between my real life and the equations? Thank you very much for reading this far.

Physics news on Phys.org
bakindabacon said:
I have dreamed of doing research in biophysics to develop organic nanomachines which can treat people's medical problems
Good goals! :smile:
bakindabacon said:
I am lucky enough to have strong math and language ability so word problems and higher level math (multivariable calculus, differential equations, etc.) have come pretty easy to me at the undergraduate level. I have gotten A's in intermediate mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.
:smile:
bakindabacon said:
I believe the problem is that I have sensory processing disorder, which means my mind and body are out of sync with the world. This means I have horrible physical insight (knowing how things are going to move, identifying forces in mechanics problems)
Have you talked with your Doctor or counselor about this/ There are lots of sources of help to get past this...
bakindabacon said:
I want this world of physics to be more than a bunch of mathematical equations, I want to actually experience with my senses in a meaningful way what I am learning. I am at a loss because my problem is with connecting everyday experiences I have had hundreds of times over the course of my life with the equations that I learn. I am stubborn as a mule so giving up has never occurred to me, but I want to be able to get my PhD by age 40, so how can I bridge that gap between my real life and the equations? Thank you very much for reading this far.
I think you have a great future ahead of you. Hopefully the PF can help with it! :smile:

I only read your first two paragraphs of first post on this topic.
You need the laboratory exercises. You, and nobody else, will need to learn to put the mathematical stuff together with the practical stuff, and you sometimes must communicate with other people; sometimes they take the lead, and sometimes you take the lead; and if you're both stuck, then ask for help.

As long as you are strong with the mathematical part of the studies and good in the academic lecture and test-taking part of the studies, you have a great advantage already.

By any chance, are you able to use your reading-comprehension power to draw a sequence of pictures on paper of how some process should occur?
By any chance, are you able to use your reading-comprehension power to create a movie in your head to visualize how some process should occur?
These two questions are very seriously intended.

In my life, this has manifested itself as extreme clumsiness, no sense of time, difficulty keeping rhythm, poor spatial awareness of my own body, bad reaction time, weak memory for short exposure stimuli (fast speech, motion). I cannot understand for the life of me why I can do mental rotations, put things together and process maps on the fly while driving all with ease, but I have trouble knowing if I parked my car straight or crooked, how to eat without spilling something or throwing and catching a ball.
That description is very much like a well-known, famous person, whom here I will not name; but who is successful in one's field.

1. What is sensory processing?

Sensory processing refers to the way in which our brains receive, interpret, and respond to information from our senses, including sight, sound, touch, taste, and smell. It involves the integration and organization of sensory input, and can greatly influence our ability to navigate and interact with the world around us.

2. How does sensory processing affect our understanding of physics?

Sensory processing issues can impact our ability to process and make sense of the complex concepts and information involved in physics. These issues can make it difficult to understand and retain information, as well as make connections between different concepts and apply them in real-world situations.

3. Can sensory processing issues be overcome to understand physics?

Yes, with the right accommodations and support, individuals with sensory processing issues can learn and understand physics. This may include using different learning techniques, breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts, and providing hands-on or visual demonstrations to aid in understanding.

4. How can teachers and educators help students with sensory processing issues understand physics?

Teachers can create a supportive and inclusive learning environment by being aware of their students' individual needs and providing accommodations such as visual aids, hands-on activities, and alternative learning methods. They can also work with students to identify and address any specific challenges they may have with sensory processing and develop strategies to overcome them.

5. Are there any resources or tools available to help individuals with sensory processing issues understand physics?

Yes, there are many resources and tools available, such as educational videos, interactive simulations, and educational programs specifically designed for individuals with sensory processing issues. These resources can provide a more hands-on and engaging learning experience, making it easier for individuals to understand and retain information about physics.